American Brewing in England

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having a real hard time finding American hops in England. Any advice? Good dependable international shippers of hops, English sources, replacements for Simcoe, Armarillo etc? Found a “very thirsty for the American style beer” group of beer drinkers but having a hard time wheting their palate.

My god, you're in Lewes you lucky bastard. Can't say I'd even thank about brewing if I lived there.

I just moved back to the states from there. When I can get to my main computer I'll send you some helpful links. Suppliers aren't as plentiful there. But there are a couple good ones.

ah fantastic! thanks Akdmax, really appreciate it, still not having any great luck on my end finding the kind of american hops i'm looking for.

My god, you're in Lewes you lucky bastard. Can't say I'd even thank about brewing if I lived there.

haha, well yes there is Harvey's just down the road and I’m often awoken to the smell of their latest brew however a real good seriously hoppy beer is still something really hard to find even in the middle of a brew Mecca like Lewes. I still pine for the taste of my microbrewing motherland.

From what I hear England through the ages has toned down to be a lot more conservative. They even have enacted policies on abv levels for styles in beers. Correct me if I'm wrong OP. English bitters and strong bitters have to be up to standards. Even commercial IPA's are like 4.5% abv and lower than 40 IBU's and still considered IPA's now.

From what I hear England through the ages has toned down to be a lot more conservative. They even have enacted policies on abv levels for styles in beers. Correct me if I'm wrong OP. English bitters and strong bitters have to be up to standards. Even commercial IPA's are like 4.5% abv and lower than 40 IBU's and still considered IPA's now.
There are no rules in Britain about how strong any particular beer has to be.

He's lucky to be in Lewes because it's home to one of the best breweries in the world, Harveys. Their beers are absolute classics.

"Comments: A pale ale brewed to an increased gravity and hop rate. Modern versions of English IPAs generally pale in comparison (pun intended) to their ancestors. The term “IPA” is loosely applied in commercial English beers today, and has been (incorrectly) used in beers below 4% ABV. Generally will have more finish hops and less fruitiness and/or caramel than English pale ales and bitters. Fresher versions will obviously have a more significant finishing hop character." - BJCP Style Guidelines

I'm shooting more for "History: An American version of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude." - BJCP Style Guidelines

Really excited for this brew, hope it comes together well, going to skratch the palisade and increase a little on the glacier and use an English based malt. Will be interested to see what my english based buds think of the "American attitude", haha.

Note: BJCP is American biased i mean based

"Comments: A pale ale brewed to an increased gravity and hop rate. Modern versions of English IPAs generally pale in comparison (pun intended) to their ancestors. The term “IPA” is loosely applied in commercial English beers today, and has been (incorrectly) used in beers below 4% ABV. Generally will have more finish hops and less fruitiness and/or caramel than English pale ales and bitters. Fresher versions will obviously have a more significant finishing hop character." - BJCP Style Guidelines

I'm shooting more for "History: An American version of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude." - BJCP Style Guidelines

Really excited for this brew, hope it comes together well, going to skratch the palisade and increase a little on the glacier and use an English based malt. Will be interested to see what my english based buds think of the "American attitude", haha.

Note: BJCP is American biased i mean based

My next batch of IPA or IIPA I actually want to acquire some English yeast and do a British style brew. Along with Marris Otter and British hops, I like beers with historic significance almost gives it its own unique old world taste.

Ah thanks for all that! Did a mini brew just as a dry run and things turned out real well.(best beer I've made so far, GF confirmed) Will be starting the big 60 Litre over the next couple of days.

Latest posts

Back