Amber Ale Recipe (Opinions Please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All -

I am trying to improve an amber ale recipe I did last year that people liked, but it was a little light on body and hops. Here's what I am thinking:

9.33lbs of Briess Organic 2 Row
8oz Toasted 2 Row (350 degrees for 15 minutes)
9oz CaraMunich II
5oz Honey Malt
6oz Caramel 10L
4oz Chocolate Malt (debittered)

1/2oz Warrior (18.9AA) @ 60
1oz Liberty (4.2AA) @ 10
2oz Liberty (4.2AA) @ 5
1oz Liberty (4.2AA) @ FO

Mash for 60 minutes (infusion) at 152F
Safele S-04 for yeast

Thanks!

What's the old recipe? Don't really see a point in roasting the 2row in the oven. If you want a little more body mash a little higher and or add some more caramunich II.

What's the old recipe? Don't really see a point in roasting the 2 row in the oven. If you want a little more body mash a little higher and or add some more caramunich II.
This is the new recipe. Here's the old
4.25 lbs Provenance Pale (2row)
4.25lbs Pilsner
.5lb toasted 2row
.5lb caramunich II
.25lb Cararoma
.25lb Carared
.125 Chocolate

.33 oz Warrior at 60
.5oz Liberty at 15,10 and 5

Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeast

I guess with toasted, I was going for a slightly nutty flavor

If you want nutty go for some victory malt. I'd keep the same amount of hops but do 1 1/2-2oz as dry hop and the rest at flameout. Definitely good choice making all the base 2row. I'm sure it'll be a taste beer.

If you want nutty go for some victory malt. I'd keep the same amount of hops but do 1 1/2-2oz as dry hop and the rest at flameout. Definitely good choice making all the base 2row. I'm sure it'll be a taste beer.
Cool. Thanks.
I don't have Victory, but I do have some caraaroma. Would that work (maybe 4oz)? I would have to make some slight adjustments to the other specialty grains.

Done quite a few repeat brews trying to dial them in, I say just stick with what your revised malt bill, don't do too many changes at once. Mash a little higher and move some of the end of boil hops to dry hops.

Latest posts

Back