Amarillo Pale Ale ~ Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be brewing on Saturday and I'm hoping to use some of the Amarillo & Simcoe I just ordered. After perusing a bunch of other recipes, this is the one I've come up with. Nothing fancy or odd, just hoping to get some feed back as I'm very new to this and would hate to waste these delicious flowers.

I'm looking for a balanced brew with a solid malt presence/slight sweetness and good hop flavor & Aroma.

Partial Mash @152 deg. 60 min.

4lbs Maris Otter
1lb Munich
8oz. Crystal 40
3lbs Xtra pale DME

OG: 1.055

.75 oz. Amarillo @ 60
.5 oz. Amarillo @ 20
.5 oz. Amarillo @ 1

IBU: 44

Yeast: Undecided. Suggestions? I should have time for a starter.

I was also going to dry hop it, but I'm not sure with what yet. I've got some Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Looks good.
I would dryhop with either the cascades or amarillo, but for this brew wouldn't go over 1/2oz total dry hops.
But since you're not changing much in the boil hops maybe just stick to amarillo, If it was good and you hang onto a few, then re-brew this with all cascades, you can compare them and get a feel for different hops.

Sorry didn't see the yeast question.
I would just use a dry yeast, either S-05 (cleaner) or S-04 (will leave it a little sweeter) that way I wouldn't have to make a starter.

Looks very good. Agree on the S-05 dry yeast - it's all I ever use on my American Ales.

Personally, I've been FWH'ing my 60 minute hops additions in my pale ales quite often and the flavor is fantastic. It's a little smoother on the bitter and the flavor is awesome. Keep it at 60, though, if you like the bitter punch. It'll make excellent beer either way.

:mug:

You could go with a 50/50 split of simcoe and amarillo, if you want to use some of your simcoe. Centennial goes great with both of these hops and I think cascade should work well also. FWIW If you want to be on the wild side as far as yeast goes try a Belgian yeast say Wyeast 3522. If you go that way drop the IBUs to the 30's. So you get some of the yeast's spicyness.

Thanks. I think I'll go with the US-05, it'll be a little easier if I don't have to travel with the starter a couple hours to the brew site. The Belgian is a neat idea, I'll have to put that on a list for later in the summer.

Where do you think this malt bill gets me flavor & mouth feel wise? Should I mash a little higher for a hint of sweetness or will I get that from the crystal?

I'm doing nearly the same brew with a little more crystal and all grain. I am doing amarillo through for hopping and 1/2oz simcoe dry hop. I am planning on using nottingham.

The Wheat Pale Ale in my dropdown is pretty similar and very tasty. You won't be let down with the Sim-arillo combination.

OK, think I'm going all grain. I've found a 5 gallon igloo doing nothing and I might as well put it to work. The grain bill will now be

9lbs MO
2lb Munich
8oz Crystal 40

I also had to adjust the hops, so I'm not looking at

1oz Amarillo @ 60min (Possible FWH)
.5oz Amarillo @ 20
.5oz Amarillo @ 5
.5oz Amarillo @ Flameout

That should put me at 1.057 and 44 IBUS

Yeast US-05

If you end up FWH-ing the first oz of amarillo you should re-calculate it as a 20min addition to make sure your software (or hand math) is accounting for it properly. For some reason my beersmith doesn't account for it properly when I select the FHW as the hops use.
Either way you wont have a 44IBU tasting beer if you FWH the 1oz amarillo and leave the rest of the schedule as-is.

As a comparison you could check out Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale. It uses Amarillo and Simcoe and has a long list of satisfied brewers...

+1 on the Lakewalk; highly recommended and competition proven -

Your recipe looks good though. I would add Amarillo/Simcoe at 5 minutes, cancel the flame out addition and dry hop with Amarillo and Simcoe. Not a big fan of the Munich either in there, but that's subjective. I use to use US05 on my pales, but only use 1056 or 1272 now due to some overly dry beers from that strain.

Back