Amarillo ipa dry hoping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbrewmeister

Reaction score
I have an all Amarillo IPA that is two weeks into fermentation. I got the recipe of the database but I noticed that there is no dry hoping. Has anybody brewed an all Amarillo and dry hoped it, is it recommended? I would like to avoid too much of a grapefruit flavor.

Dry hopping is mainly for aroma. But since our senses of smell & taste are linked,it can be percieved as a small hop flavor addition. It may increase your perception of citrus aroma/flavors.

I did an all-Amarillo IPA recently and dry hopped an additional ounce after the fermentation signs were gone. I put them into the primary for 7 days. I'm not certain how much the dry hopped ounce added to it, but the overall brew is outstanding.

there's nothing wrong with dry hoping it, that being said it's a matter of how much aroma you want to have I personally love dry hoped beers I made a house Ipa I brew with centenial and cascade that I dry hop with Amarillo and citra. It's a hop bomb !!

My all Amarillo IPA was dry hopped for 7 days with an ounce of Amarillo and tasted great. I always dry hop my IPAs.

Next time I'm going to use some simcoe with the Amarillo for the dry hop because the Amarillo tastes a little too fruity/sweet to me on it's own.

I would definitely dry hop an IPA, especially with amarillo! At least an ounce. My last amarillo ryePA I dry hopped with 3 ounces and it was fantastic.

Back