Am I Racking My Pumkin Beer Too Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tresden

Reaction score
Been in the primary for a day over a week now and I was going to transfer it to a secondary, but is it rreally all that necessary? What do you guys think? Should I just Keg/Bottle it now or let it sit in a secondary for another week?

if you are a day over a week, "now" is way too early to do anything with it.

let it sit at least one more week if you plan to rack it to secondary. let it sit in secondary for 2 weeks.

let it sit three more weeks in primary if you are going to skip the secondary.

Do you have real pumpkin in the boil/fermenter? If so you will need a secondary or even a tertiary...It is one of the few things I use a secondary for. I tried to do my usualy long primary once, and it was a mess. It clogged the bottling wand to no end.

Do you have real pumpkin in the boil/fermenter? If so you will need a secondary or even a tertiary...It is one of the few things I use a secondary for. I tried to do my usualy long primary once, and it was a mess. It clogged the bottling wand to no end.
Glad I read this thread! I made my first pumpkin a little earlier then the OP and was just planning on a long primary. Thanks Revvy!

"Do you have real pumpkin in the boil/fermenter? If so you will need a secondary or even a tertiary...It is one of the few things I use a secondary for. I tried to do my usualy long primary once, and it was a mess. It clogged the bottling wand to no end."

I mashed with it so it is all filtered out to prevent that.

"Been in the primary for a day over a week now and I was going to transfer it to a secondary, but is it rreally all that necessary? What do you guys think? Should I just Keg/Bottle it now or let it sit in a secondary for another week?"

Hmm. I usually wait roughly a week to either transfer to secondary or rack the brew. I figure it's at least done fermenting, it can condition other places. Seems to turn out fine for me. Any reason you suggest otherwise?

the longer you let that one set,the better.

( last night I opened one of my pumkin ales from last year. it was very nice, but could use at least one more year.) the spice was still just too much.

I just bottled my pumpkin ale last week. I let mine primary for 3.5 weeks then secondary with my spices for another week then racked to my bottling bucket. When I tasted it, it was amazing, definitely the best beer to date. I would definitely let it spend at least 3 weeks in primary even if you are going to secondary.

I have a pumpkin porter in my primary right now, will be 2 weeks this weekend. I figure another week in the primary before I do anything. I added pumpkin to the boil, and have quite a bit of pumpkin stuff in the container. My question is - how long should I keep it in the secondary? Is it just a couple of days to allow the rest of the pumpkin to settle out or am I looking at a week or two?

I have a pumpkin porter in my primary right now, will be 2 weeks this weekend. I figure another week in the primary before I do anything. I added pumpkin to the boil, and have quite a bit of pumpkin stuff in the container. My question is - how long should I keep it in the secondary? Is it just a couple of days to allow the rest of the pumpkin to settle out or am I looking at a week or two?

Probably a week or two unless you can cold crash it.

....what exsactly determines the length of time in primary, secondary....etc. Is it a matter of gravity readings to determine if primary fermentation or fermintation in general is complete?

Back