Am i out of line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunbar171

Reaction score
I was at the liquor store a little while ago buying a couple six packs when the cashier asked me why I wasn't buying bud light. I told him that I preferred a little more taste to a beer. After a little back and forth he told me I wasn't a real American if I didn't love bud light. I let it go went home had a few and thought about it. Now I'm pissed. The marine corp tattoo on my arm or the fact that I served my country is invalid because I don't drink bl. What a dbag!!

What's funny is, Anheuser Busch isn't even an American owned company any more...

I think of it as *more* American to support small microbrews trying to grow, despite being huge underdogs to the enormous BMC companies.

what's funny is, anheuser busch isn't even an american owned company any more...

I think of it as *more* american to support small microbrews trying to grow, despite being huge underdogs to the enormous bmc companies.

bingo!

dunbar171 said:
I was at the liquor store a little while ago buying a couple six packs when the cashier asked me why I wasn't buying bud light. I told him that I preferred a little more taste to a beer. After a little back and forth he told me I wasn't a real American if I didn't love bud light. I let it go went home had a few and thought about it. Now I'm pissed. The marine corp tattoo on my arm or the fact that I served my country is invalid because I don't drink bl. What a dbag!!

D bag! There are a lot around my parts as well. Enjoy your beer and next time tell the guy to f off!

I just couldn't believe he had the balls to tell a war vet that I'm not American. And he knows I'm a marine. I don't judge people for drinking piss water. Time to find a new store

I work on an afb and hear this garbage all the time. I just smile and know how stupid they really are. They refer to crappy beer as oak wood juice and that's what they all drink

I can think of a few reasons for his answer

1. He's brainwashed from watching to many Super Bowl commercials :drunk:

2. Bud is paying him?

3. His opinion of good beer is based on #1 and #2.

4. He's on his OFP and knows no better.

Edit: He's not a man who has ever served his country and has no right to say what or what is not American.

Thank you for your service MARINE. Semper Fi!

I was being a smart ass. John's Liquors is in Weymouth MA. I was there a few days ago, bought a 6 pack of Blue Hills Brewery's Black hOps, and the guy said "That stuff is nasty, you should buy the good stuff." I asked what he thought was the good stuff, and he said "Coors." I paid for the beer and walked out without another word.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Some people have no tact, common sense, or even half a brain.

You are correct, he's an ass, but let it go.

Thank you for you service , and bravo on your taste in beer!:mug:

I can't even imagine why anyone would say that...doesn't make sense, even for someone who thinks it is good beer. I wouldn't be pissed, I would be confused.

Around here its hard to find a liquor store owned by an American, so no way they would tell you a customer that.

At the place I normally go, it depends on which of the brothers I get. One I can understand pretty well, the other I sometimes have to look at the register to read the price.

I agree with r2eng. Just let it go. So what if the guy is an idot. You are already the bigger man by serving your country. If you like the store go back or don't, its your choice and they dont care if you go back or not.
Oh and thank you for your service.

Just saw the thread... I agree, forget that store! I live in the same area as the OP, Total Beverage gets all my biz, always a great selection and never a hassle. Maybe it's a sign to get more homebrew in a keg, or bottle!

Take your experience to the owner. If he's the same person, he probably just enjoyed it more when he only had to stock 3 brands of beer. All those new names are confusing to him.

I have the polar opposite experience at my local liquor store. They have hundreds of craft beers and then a small, dingy spot in the back with a dirty fridge that has BMC beers in it and above it is a small sign that says "the fridge of shame." Makes me laugh every time i see someone taking BL out of it.

I have the polar opposite experience at my local liquor store. They have hundreds of craft beers and then a small, dingy spot in the back with a dirty fridge that has BMC beers in it and above it is a small sign that says "the fridge of shame." Makes me laugh every time i see someone taking BL out of it.

That is hilarious!

I once had a stranger tell me I wasn't a real American because I didn't like Larry the Cable Guy. Aggravating. You would have had every right to tell this guy what's up.

There is no defined "real American." America is a diverse country with many people from many backgrounds with many different beliefs. It really annoys me when politicians pander to people in Ohio and tell them "you're the real America!" Bull****. People in New York are real Americans. People in the country are real Americans. People in the army are real Americans. People protesting the wars are real Americans.

I would have said here you can put this back and walk out leaving everything on the counter. Kinda like what I did at Orchard Supply Hardware yesterday.
I ask a lady at register #1 if she was open she said no and pointed at register #6 Just as I get there some lady walks up to #1 and started checking out. I wait at #6 for a while as they are trying to find a few prices and the lady there says it would be faster if you go to #1. I state she said she was closed just then the light at #1 came on. I walked up to #1 and asked why was I sent away her reply was I was not open then. I quickly reply you took her and I pointed at the lady walking out I got a blank stare because she knew I had seen her ring up the lady walking out and she states I know her.

I would have said here you can put this back and walk out leaving everything on the counter. Kinda like what I did at Orchard Supply Hardware yesterday.
I ask a lady at register #1 if she was open she said no and pointed at register #6 Just as I get there some lady walks up to #1 and started checking out. I wait at #6 for a while as they are trying to find a few prices and the lady there says it would be faster if you go to #1. I state she said she was closed just then the light at #1 came on. I walked up to #1 and asked why was I sent away her reply was I was not open then. I quickly reply you took her and I pointed at the lady walking out I got a blank stare because she knew I had seen her ring up the lady walking out and she states I know her.

99% of these people who behave this way have no stake in the business. Hence, you need to take your complaint to the manager/owner.

Now, I have had a couple run-ins with inconsiderate manager/owner, but that is really when you draw the line and drop your merchandise at their feet. You do it to some dbag cashier and they could not give 2-sh1ts.

I would have laughed in his face and informed him the AHB is no longer American owned, and pointed out that many AMVETS, VFW posts, and AMERICAN LEGION posts around the country dropped it in favor of Yuenglings when Inbev bought it out.

Was there no tone of sarcasm in the man's voice? What he said was so ridiculous it sounds like he was trying to be funny to me. If you were a woman, or if he was gay, I definitely think it would have been poorly thought-out flirting.

At my local craft brew extravaganza, I do get questions on what I am buying. "Do you like that one?" (pointing to what I am buying) "I dont know yet, figured Id try it" "I dont sell a lot of it, was considering discontinuing it" that sort of thing. The young guy likes to chide me for not drinking Chimay, which is apparently his favorite. I just ask if he's buying, and we have a chortle about it.

I'm the grumpiest gus you want to meet, but it just doesnt sound to me like this guy was being a d-bag.

This reminds me Revvy, first time I was ever abroad I went to Galway, Ireland in 2002. Found a nice pub, expecting to see everyone drinking Guinness or some local brew. Budweisser long-necks, the lot of them. So to the truck driver next to me I said (this is back when I was still talking to strangers, ha!) "here I come all the way to Ireland for a Guiness, and you Irishmen are drinking bud!" "Well... I like Guinness too...:confused:" "Oh I just mean its funny, everyone here is drinking American beer and us Americans are drinking Irish beer" "Oh... Budweisser is American beer?" We arent talking about an idiot or a jerk here, just a regular guy. A little ignorance goes a long way when it comes to confusing the hell out of people.
I would have laughed in his face and informed him the AHB is no longer American owned, and pointed out that many AMVETS, VFW posts, and AMERICAN LEGION posts around the country dropped it in favor of Yuenglings when Inbev bought it out.

99% of these people who behave this way have no stake in the business. Hence, you need to take your complaint to the manager/owner.

Now, I have had a couple run-ins with inconsiderate manager/owner, but that is really when you draw the line and drop your merchandise at their feet. You do it to some dbag cashier and they could not give 2-sh1ts.

The General Manager is going to be in today around 9 so I have plans on calling about 10. I want to give him some time to get going so he does not have a dozen other things going on on like most managers just as soon as their feet enter the door.

I get this kind of thing all the time. Not so much from the beer store guys, they are pretty cool. Just random people saying things like "Oh, you like those foreign beers" or "Why do you drink that p*ssy beer? Drink an American beer"...I've almost gotten tired of showing those people the error of their ways...Almost.

I get this kind of thing all the time. Not so much from the beer store guys, they are pretty cool. Just random people saying things like "Oh, you like those foreign beers" or "Why do you drink that p*ssy beer? Drink an American beer"...I've almost gotten tired of showing those people the error of their ways...Almost.

Do you see where you live?

If you guys really have these experiences frequently, just laminate this and carry it in your wallet. Nothing else needs to be said.

poster.jpg

Latest posts

Back