Am I making bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewnoob

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been answered before, I was looking through the forum to find an answer but couldn't.
I've started a batch of cider that I'm planning on bottling in 750ml beer bottles. I havnt done this yet as I normally just consume from my primary haha but I want to bottle carb and have it ready to drink early next year sometime. My o.g was 1.070 and when asking for advice at a home brew store he recommended I bottle at 1.005-1.010 with a teaspoon of priming sugar per 750ml bottle. He then said leave them for 2 weeks at about 20°c and cold crash.
Now I just wanted to check if this is a good idea? In the past my cider has fermented below 1.000 and I'm nervous that his advice will create havoc with exploding bottles. Please could you put my mind at ease or offer some better advice? Thanks very much!
This is a pic of the bottles I'm using.

View attachment 1450067218217.jpg

Just let it finish properly then prime properly. That lhbs guy should be whipped.

How do you want the cider to taste when it is done? If you like it dry let it go till its done then bottle with the right amount of sugar for the carb level you want.

If you want it sweeter you can bottle sooner and bottle one or two in plastic to b able to feel the carb amount in the bottle or just test a bottle here and there and when u like it pasturize in the bottle.

It's all about what you want and like.

I want it to finish not too dry but with a little sweetness. Is there a formula to go off for the correct priming amount? What's wrong with priming each bottle?

Lots of us bottle prime individually and generally have no complaint.You can use 1/2-tsp of sugar per bottle and get a solid carbonation. Nowhere near as fizzy as store bought would be. If you like fizzy drinks, just add more priming sugar.

Just to make sure.
If you bottle before it is finished, you must pasture you bad things will happen.

Latest posts

Back