Am I doing something wrong??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bewacha

Reaction score
I just finished my second all grain brew today, but have had the same problem with each brew. I heat my strike water to the correct temp as per Beersmith, add the water to my mash tun, then add the grains. After an hour I try to collect the wort, all I get is a couple drops or wort before the flow stops. As i add the grains to the water I stir it for about 5 mins, and it doesnt seem like there are any clumps, then i let it sit for an hour. I am using a 10gal rubbermaid with a false bottom for my mash tun. I have added pics of my equipment and the little wort i gathered. Am I doing something wrong??

p.s. - I used my new Barley Crusher at default setting to crush malt.

All I Got.jpg

Inside Mash Tun.jpg

Crush.jpg

What is your water to grain ratio (quarts per lb?). You did not mention any sparge water...are you adding any? Sorry need more info from you.

Is the suction point at your false bottom too close to the bottom of the cooler? So it clogs-up against the bottom?
How have you been managing to get the wort out when this happens? Maybe knowing the fix will reveal the cause.

On your false bottom setup, unscrew your 90deg elbow more so it sits higher off the bottom of the cooler and closer to the height of the screen.

Had this a few times myself

As per Beersmith I added 15qts for the mash (7.5 lbs grain). Batched sparged with 5.5 gal, again, as per beer smith.

-Grains = 6.5 lbs Pale 2 Row/.5 lbs Crystal 10/.5 lbs Crystal 60
-After back-flushing with air I managed to get a slow trickle, took 1hr 45 to gather all wort.
-false bottom doesnt seem to be too close, but perhaps gets squished down by grains?

Back