Am I crazy, or is my neighbor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I live in a nice small community in Colorado. We live close to town in a 1950's development. Lots are really small, I have a front yard that is ~50x60 feet, and a back yard that is about 30x50 feet.

I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old and recently put a small swingset with a small slide in my front yard. I know front yard is uncommon for swingset placement but I didn't want to take up our entire back yard with it, and it's a great use for a larger front yard which we otherwise dont use.

Yesterday my 60 year old neighbor comes over and tells me that the swingset is hideous, she 'can't believe' i would think it's OK to put a swingset in my front yard, and that is 'an invasion of her privacy' since we can see in there windows from our front yard (which are 15 feet from our ground level mind you because we live on a hill!

This really pissed me off but the last thing I want is a feud so I calmly told her this is a good thing for my family and i'm sorry she doesn't see it that way.

Am I crazy or is she? Is a swingset in my front yard really a terrible thing?

I live in a nice small community in Colorado. We live close to town in a 1950's development. Lots are really small, I have a front yard that is ~50x60 feet, and a back yard that is about 30x50 feet.

I have a 2.5 year old and a 3 month old and recently put a small swingset with a small slide in my front yard. I know front yard is uncommon for swingset placement but I didn't want to take up our entire back yard with it, and it's a great use for a larger front yard which we otherwise dont use.

Yesterday my 60 year old neighbor comes over and tells me that the swingset is hideous, she 'can't believe' i would think it's OK to put a swingset in my front yard, and that is 'an invasion of her privacy' since we can see in there windows from our front yard (which are 15 feet from our ground level mind you because we live on a hill!

This really pissed me off but the last thing I want is a feud so I calmly told her this is a good thing for my family and i'm sorry she doesn't see it that way.

Am I crazy or is she? Is a swingset in my front yard really a terrible thing?

It's your land so you can do what you want(to some degree). It's is not like you put some offensive sign there. Some people are just miserable and need to complain about everything. Let the kids play and enjoy it.

It's your land so you can do what you want(to some degree). It's is not like you put some offensive sign there. Some people are just miserable and need to complain about everything. Let the kids spy on your neighbor and enjoy it.

I just installed a giant swing set in my back yard, wonder if you can see my neighbors house from it now.

It's your land so you can do what you want(to some degree). It's is not like you put some offensive sign there. Some people are just miserable and need to complain about everything. Let the kids play and enjoy it.

Yeah this lady definitely falls in the 'always miserable' category but it still made my wife and I ask ourselves, are we in the wrong here?

there's more to it in a neighborhood than just being 'your land.' As what your neighbor does to their land affects the value of yours. Then there is also the neighborhood covenant if you have one. That may not allow structures like a swing set in the front yard.

I'm not sure I'd be super excited if my neighbor put a swing set in the front yard either, but..... If it is a nice set and is very well maintained, I'd live with it. Either way an "invasion of privacy" as the complaint is stupid.

Yeah this lady definitely falls in the 'always miserable' category but it still made my wife and I ask ourselves, are we in the wrong here?

I have one in the front. I would check with you HOA if you have one, but aside from that, some people just choose to be miserable.

I agree with what people have been saying...it is your land and you can do what you please...however you do have to keep in mind that what you or another neighbor do does in fact affect value of property.

I have a crazy neighbor two houses down who has junk cars and a huge trailer/Winnebago in his driveway...there was a house for sale and it couldn't sell...finally the people trying to sell complained to the city and got the cars out of the driveway...house sold the next week.

Just be mindful that since the swing set is in the front you should try to maintain it and not let it become an eye sore...you never know what your city laws are that may not allow you such a structure there.

:mug:

As long as it a nice swing set and if you don't have a home owners association then I think your in the clear.

Not sure how its an "invasion of privacy", so by that logic standing in your front yard, doing yard work or driving down the street is an "invasion of privacy". That just doesn't make any sense.

Covenenants and restrictions may be the only litigating factor, however, some municipal codes have restrictions for structures in the front yard.

For example, in my jurisdiction, structures accessory to residential have to be located behind the front wall of the main structure (house) and within required setbacks. BUT things like swings are not required to have permits.

So, outside of C&R you may have a setback violation (around here front yard setback is 25 feet from curb) that your neighbor "could" cause you some grief over. Really just depends on the zoning laws of your locality and how strict they are with regard to accessory structures.

We dont have a HOA but I didn't check with the city if this was allowed or not before doing it. I doubt she will call and ***** to the city because there are many things I could do to retaliate and she knows it, like reporting the monster pot farm she has going just the other side of her fence.

Also I understand what people are saying about property values and junk cars, but it never occurred to me that often used and well maintained swingset is equivalent to 2 junk cars in my front lawn, come on?

Whoah - pot farm?

Yeah they have 5-10 monster plants. The husband smokes constantly, which I think is just so he can tolerate his wife. :) With the new CO laws you can have 2 plants/household so it's not a major violation, but still it's something I could tit-for-tat her with if it ends up going down that path, which I hope it doesn't because honestly I have enough **** going on in my life.

Yeah they have 5-10 monster plants. The husband smokes constantly, which I think is just so he can tolerate his wife. :) With the new CO laws you can have 2 plants/household so it's not a major violation, but still it's something I could tit-for-tat her with if it ends up going down that path, which I hope it doesn't because honestly I have enough **** going on in my life.

It's actually 6 plants per adult in the household at the state level, unless you live in a city that has restricted it. I love in Colorado too and wouldn't want to see you try to use that but having the wrong facts.

I'm surprised that you were able to get a permit to put it in your front yard. I've never lived in a township that would allow a swing set in the front yard.

I don't think I've ever seen a swing set in a front yard, or a pool, a grill or patio furniture for that matter. Those items are in backyards or side yards in every urban/suburban community I've ever seen. I've never been to Colorado, though. I know they do things differently out there.

I don't think I've ever seen a swing set in a front yard, or a pool, a grill or patio furniture for that matter. Those items are in backyards or side yards in every urban/suburban community I've ever seen. I've never been to Colorado, though. I know they do things differently out there.

you should see NE Wyoming and western South Dakota...:goat:

My opinion is really dependent on location. If you are my neighbor in a subdivision setting then I'm going to be pissed. If you are my neighbor on a wooded street without an HOA/etc., where everyone has a larger sized property, then I'm cool with with it. Go up to a few acres of land and you can paint the house hot pink and I'd not care.

Regarding an invasion her privacy - this is nuts.

I'm surprised that you were able to get a permit to put it in your front yard. I've never lived in a township that would allow a swing set in the front yard.

Yeah I didn't ask the city if I could do it (via a permit) I just did it. It's not a fancy ass place like that.

The slide is still curing from a concrete step I had to make at the bottom, i'll post a pic when I can get one.

If her husband has to be continuously doped up to deal with her...my recommendation is homebrew whenever you see her.

You can't please everyone in life, and if your HOA or city codes don't say anything.

One of my coworkers has his house painted orange with blue trim, big Broncos logo on the garage. Now that's bad. But not banned...

Long story short - that lady is crazy, not you.

It might not be ideal, but it's not like your kids are spying on her. If she doesn't like kids and families, Golden might be the wrong place for her.

It wouldn't even occur to me to care that someone had a swing set in their front yard! I'm just glad no one complains (too much) about my giant hops poles.

I think you and your neighbor are both crazy. If your neighbor is worried about her privacy, then she can close her blinds. But having a swingset in your front yard is a lawsuit waiting to happen from an uninvited and unsupervised child getting injured on it.

I bought my house not only as a place to live, but as an investment. And my property value would definitely take a hit from a swingset in the front yard of a neighbor. I live in a painfully strict HOA for that very reason.

A man and his wife are awakened at 3 o'clock in the morning by a loud pounding on the door. The man gets up and goes to the door where a drunken stranger, standing in the pouring rain, is asking for a push.

"Not a chance," says the husband, "it is three o'clock in the morning!" He slams the door and returns to bed.

"Who was that?" asked his wife. "Just some drunk guy asking for a push," he answers. "Did you help him?" she asks. "No, I did not, it is three in the morning and it is pouring out!"

"Well, you have a short memory," says his wife. "Can't you remember about three months ago when we broke down and those two guys helped us? I think you should help him, and you should be ashamed of yourself."

The man does as he is told, gets dressed, and goes out into the pounding rain. He calls out into the dark, "Hello, are you still there?"

"Yes," comes back the answer.

"Do you still need a push?" calls out the husband.

"Yes, please!" comes the reply from the dark.

"Where are you?" asks the husband.

"Over here on the swing!" replies the drunk.

:ban:

She let you know she does not like it and she may never talk to you again. You win with this. However if she does just say you understand her and are planning on taking it down. Just do not say in 10 years. Next time you begin to list obstacles you have in removeing. Say My brother in law was going to come over last weekend BUT his wifes son's son hamster was _ _ _ _ and canceled. He is schedule for two weeks down the road

A front yard is widely viewed as a symbol of prosperity in our society. It says to the world, "Hey look at me, not only can I afford to own this space and not use it for anything, but I have the resources to keep it looking nice and well-maintained." Actually using it for something other than sitting there looking pretty detracts from it's symbolic value.

I think society is totally insane in a lot of ways, but playing along with the rules of an insane society to reap its benefits doesn't necessarily make you insane.

You made a rational decision that your quality of life was improved more by using it as a space for your children to play, but I could also understand someone making the rational decision that your yards impact on their property values was more valuable to them than your children's happiness. It could be seen as a little mean and selfish, maybe, but not crazy.

Two people's rational self-interest can be in conflict with each other, and they can see things two different ways, without someone being crazy. And if she had calmly explained her concerns to you along those lines I would say neither one of you is crazy, but from the way you described her tone and the totally bonkers invasion of privacy thing I would say she does sound a little crazy.

I think I would probably just have put it in my back yard just for the peace of mind in knowing they aren't playing right near the road.

should have told her to smoke more weed and chill the fuk out.

getoffmylawn.gif

Also, lol his teeth never come apart for that.

Here in the land of tiny yards, it is not at all unusual to see a swing set in the front yard. But usually in a fenced front yard. And fenced front yards are also not at all unusual here.

Back