Am I bottle conditioning too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbrown01

Reaction score
I've been brewing kits and mini mashes a few years now but only about 12-15 batches total. About half have been recipes of my own design and about half have been kits, all have been bottled in the standard way with the standard recommended amount of priming sugar.

I've noticed a trend. Many of my batches turn out too dry and over carbonated. Some more than others. Most are drinkable but some have bordered on offensive. I always wait for the beer in secondary to complete fermentation, I've waiting 3 weeks for some and 4 for others but in no case is there the slightest activity in the airlock for many days when I bottle. No signs of infections, just too carbonated. I add the standard amount of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. But even doing everything by the book I can never seem to retain any residual sweetness. The carbonation one one recent batch was downright harsh and the large popping bubbles reminiscent of a soft drink.

My typical routine is to bottle, leave them alone about a week, then begin refrigerating and drinking a few at the time, as needed, until they are all consumed. The longer they sit unrefrigerated of course the more carbonated they get, and I understand that, but I was under the impression that the priming sugar was the correct amount to produce a bottle that would ferment to the correct level of carbonation and sweetness for that particular beer, and then stop. Instead what is happening seems to be that the yeast continues to eat away at available sugar until it passes a critical point, the point to which the carbonation/sweetness balance tips over to an undesirable ratio, and then the beer is less friendly than it was.

It seems the proper thing to do in light of my experience would be to stop the bottle conditioning at a certain point by refrigerating all the bottles, therefore suspending the beer at the correct sweet/carbonation level. But oddly I've never heard of anyone doing this. All the instructions all seem to suggest you just add the normal priming sugar, bottle, and your good to go. No one ever says "be sure to refrigerate after 1 week or your beer will be over carbonated". But it's obviously still a very yeast-active environment and seems to be reaching a critical point about a week after bottling for me.

I just bottled a new batch 3 days ago into 16 oz PET bottles and I am testing the firmness each day. As soon as I get to the correct carbonation level I plan on refrigerating the whole batch.

Does anyone with more experience have any other suggestions or comments on this, or is there anything you would do differently?

Thanks,
Casey

Are you taking gravity readings before bottling, or just relying on airlock activity? If you arent taking gravity readings, that is your first problem. The batch may not be done fermenting and you are therefore bottling a batch that will carb more than you want it to. Also, are you adding the correct amount of sugar to carbonate per style, or just adding 5oz for each batch? Each style of beer needs a different level of carbonation and just adding 5oz like most kits say does not do any good.

As far as sweetness goes, mash temp has a big part of this. If you are doing extract kits you dont have any control over that. Over carbonation can certainly change mouthfeel, but FG is what really determines the sweetness of the beer.

Essentially, no you should not need to refrigerate the entire batch if you bottle/carbonate correctly.

How much sugar are you adding (by weight) to a 5 gallon batch? As far as carbonation goes, if the priming amount is correct, you ought to be able to leave them sit at room temp for 3 weeks, refrigerate a few days and consistently end up with the right amount of bubbles.

Search "time lapse carbonation" at Youtube to see the sort of undesirable results you can get by only carbing for a week like you have been. I'd post the video, but Youtube is blocked at my current location (work).

You don't (and should not) get residual sweetness from the carbonation sugar. You can try a higher mash temp and/or a lower attenuation yeast strain (like Windsor) for that.

Use a priming sugar calculator. Usually I use 4 ounces or less. Priming sugar used should be dependent on style and storage temp.

If it's coming down to priming. I don't know if you have them in the states, but the Coopers Carbonation Drops are pretty good. I've been using them for a while with no problems

Although I don't have the priming sugar bag in front of me I'm pretty sure I'm usually using a 5-ounce bag for a 5 gallon batch. On some batches I guessed at what I thought was 5-ounces since I don't have a scale. One of my earliest batches was vinegary, none after that though. As far as mash temps on the mini mash I generally go with 155 for approx 30 minutes.

I've been lax on gravity readings but on this last batch I used a calculator and the FG was where the software predicted it would be so I bottled.

I think I'll use a priming sugar calculator next time and will keep an eye on the gravity throughout the process, maybe I can figure out exactly which step I'm messing up on.

Although I don't have the priming sugar bag in front of me I'm pretty sure I'm usually using a 5-ounce bag for a 5 gallon batch. On some batches I guessed at what I thought was 5-ounces since I don't have a scale. One of my earliest batches was vinegary, none after that though. As far as mash temps on the mini mash I generally go with 155 for approx 30 minutes.

I've been lax on gravity readings but on this last batch I used a calculator and the FG was where the software predicted it would be so I bottled.

I think I'll use a priming sugar calculator next time and will keep an eye on the gravity throughout the process, maybe I can figure out exactly which step I'm messing up on.

Gravity and proper amount of priming sugar will go a long way. Just make sure to check gravity after about 2-3 weeks of pitching yeast. Check again after another 3 days and if its the same you are good to bottle. Hope this fixes things! Just keep reading and learning and your beers will continue to improve. Cheers!

5oz package is too much priming sugar for most kits, I still haven't figure out why they give you that much. Especially when all is said and done, you probably only have 4.5g going into the bottling bucket, if you followed the directions on volumes.

Are you allowing the fermentation to finish in the primary, confirmed by stable SG readings?
You are priming for 5 gallons. Are you bottling 5 gallons?

do you mean mini mash actually, or steeping grains? in other words, are the grains all specialty malts and then you're still getting most of your fermentables from extracts? or are you actually mashing with base grains, and then supplementing with some extract?

Back