always get higher abv than beersmith predicts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
hi I have been brewing mostly extract/partial mash for the last 10 years, I have most always got higher abv than beersmith or other brewing software predicts. for instance I brewed a recipe that I hadn't brewed in about 9 years but I remember being really good, here are the fermentables

3 ltrs of lme (about 6.6 lbs)
1 lb wheat
1/2lb crystal caramel
2 oz chocolate malt

at 7 gallons my hydrometer reads 1.055 at 25 c ( I started at 23 ltrs and kept adding water till I got to 1.055 )

I buy my lme from a local shop who has it in a 55 gallon plastic drum, not sure what brand .

ive had a few different hydrometers over the years so I don't think mine is broken.. could my local shop have higher suger content in his lme?

im not complaining im just curious.

I seriously doubt your LHBS's LME is that far off, the measurement must be wrong. 7 gal of 1.055 wort would give you 385 gravity pts. You get 238 from LME, leaving 147 from 1.5 lbs of grain which isn't possible (it doesn't look possible even with the equivlent DME, and I don't think you can get any more concentrated sugar than that). It's very likely a mixing error. The denser LME/wort is really hard to get well mixed with top off water.

I was thinking about this more last night (I have never measured the containers I use to fill at the LHBS ) im going to get a measureing cup and see how close they are to 1 ltr containers..

ya I checked them they are litre containers, which liquid is 2.2 lbs per l

ya I checked them they are litre containers, which liquid is 2.2 lbs per l

You may want to do a little more research on this. From what I gather from a quick search, liquid extract is 10.7 fluid ounces per lb. One liter is 33.8 fluid ounces, so

33.8/10.7 = 3.16 lbs. / liter

You're probably correct that a liter of water is 2.2 lbs., but LME is denser than water.

thanks minky, I never realized that! I did some research and it looks like it is 3-3.16 lbs per litre. that makes a lot more sense.. ive been brewing for a long time and and have only a scale that goes to 1 lb (kitchen scale) .. I re calculated on beersmith and what I got seems accurate, 9.5 lbs of lme at 27 litres is 1.053.. all these years I basically just ignore the beersmith readouts for spec gravity..

the only thing I really weigh is hops because I know if I fill my small hopper on my grain mill that's 1 lb of grain and I know if I use 2 l of lme I get a 4.5 % beer, add some grain and get 5% and if I use 3 l for a 5 gallon batch its potent. knowing this now though will give me more accurate recipe formulations and ibus aswell so thanks again

Back