Aluminum Stock Pot as Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I am thinking of building a 2 tier brew stand with an aluminum stock pot as my mash tun. Right now I use a blue square igloo cooler that works fine. My concern is having the cooler next to the HLT and possibly melting. Yes I know I could pull the cooler down when I heat the strike/sprage water but this old man does not like his back hurting when lifting a cooler full of grain. Aluminum stock pots are cheap, I think they would hold the heat well and can be direct fire. So any of you who have an aluminum pot as you MLT how does it work for you?

Had one. Lost heat like crazy, it was a real pain trying to keep the temperature up. The Icecube works much, much better.

Heating a metal MT can be tricky unless you plan on circulating the wort w/ a pump. If you are dead set on using alum, i remember a guy using two alum kettles, a 60 and 80/100 quart one inside the other and filling the void w/ foam...sort of an aluminum cooler.

Heating a metal MT can be tricky unless you plan on circulating the wort w/ a pump. If you are dead set on using alum, i remember a guy using two alum kettles, a 60 and 80/100 quart one inside the other and filling the void w/ foam...sort of an aluminum cooler.

I think its Cape brewing who did that .

If you can insulate the pot then it shouldn't be a problem.

I am in the process of building a 2 tier and plan on putting a heat shield directly around the close burner as well as putting a piece of metal where the opening next to my cooler is, a little overkill maybe but rather safe. That may be a lot easier and cheaper the trying to insulate and/or recirculate

I realize this is an old thread, but I found it searching "aluminum mash tun". Has anyone else done anything like this? My idea is to find a stock pot ~13-14" in diameter and slip it into a cut open keg and filling between them with foam. I'd like stainless, but if aluminum works in a MLT, I'll just save the money. Most other threads talk about aluminum in a brew kettle, I'm interested in the effects of aluminum in a MLT.

Ya I hear ya on Reflectix - is has no resistance to heat wash!

I wouldn't use aluminum. You can't use any of the easy cleaners on it.

Back