Aluminum pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duridsr4fite

Reaction score
I know I was supposed to put a protective passive O2 layer on my pot before hand, and that I shouldn;t have cleaned with an oxygen cleaner. The issue was I learned all of this after I had my brew in the fermenter. I tasted a sample as I was racking, and didn;t notice any metallic taste. Did I dodge a bullet, or should I expect some consequences...

i doubt if you will get any ill effects from that, especially if you didn't notice anything in the sample. now you know, so you can do it right the next time.

Uh, huh?
I have an aluminum pot, was I suposed to treat it in some way?

I have two brews in the new pot that are bottle conditioning, what should I expect.

I think people here have recommended boiling water in your Al pot before using it for boiling wort, but like all things beer related - not doing it wont kill your beer or even cause a noticeable problem. I did it to put the oxide layer down for one reason, but also to see how long it would take my bic-lighter of a stove to heat up 5 gallons.

yes, supposedly boiling water in it first creates a passive oxide layer. kind of a dull grey color which prevents the wort from reacting with the Al.

I thought it was more to protect the aluminum form teh beer, rather than protect the beer form the aluminum. I did mine, but mostly because I wanted to try out the burner and cook the paint off the stand before brewing.

Latest posts

Back