Aluminum false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

Reaction score
I've got a whole bunch of 1/8 polished aluminum and was wondering if it's ok to use it as a false bottom. The reason i ask is because i've heard it can have reactions to wort. I know many people who brew in aluminum kettles so i would assume its ok but just wanted to check with the collective here before i start the process of drilling 500 holes in the stuff.

Condition it before you use it for the first time... Wait until after you've put all the holes in it though...

What are you planning on using this in?

the "reaction" you hear about is the myth that the acidic wort will dissolve some of the aluminum and give you Alzheimer. just put a protective coat of oxidation on it like your brew pot and it should be ok.

If you're using it in conjunction with a SS pot you may have issues over time because of the reactions between the two dissimilar metals. (Aluminum will slowly start to thin out.) Other than that you'll be just fine.

I forgot about the Alzheimer myth... :D

To condition the aluminum (building an aluminum oxide layer on it) you simply need to boil it in some water for 30-60 minutes. That's it... You should get a nice dark coating on the aluminum at that point. Just don't scrub it off and you'll be fine for many years. I did this to my aluminum kettles and have no worries about using them...

If you're using it in conjunction with a SS pot you may have issues over time because of the reactions between the two dissimilar metals. (Aluminum will slowly start to thin out.) Other than that you'll be just fine.

Pretty sure that having the aluminum oxide layer on the false bottom (before connecting any SS parts to it) will make that a non-issue... Of course, something as simple as a silicon spacer/washer could be all you need for a buffer to prevent any reactions...

Pretty sure that having the aluminum oxide layer on the false bottom (before connecting any SS parts to it) will make that a non-issue... Of course, something as simple as a silicon spacer/washer could be all you need for a buffer to prevent any reactions...

That could very well be the case.

Right on, thanks gentleman. I dont know if i ever heard that it would give me alzheimers but will write that down just incase...lol! Sometimes it hard to separate the myth from fact because everyone seems to know everything and its always a different everything from everyone elses!

Latest posts

Back