Aluminum Bulkheads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronhrab

Reaction score
So I am in the process if making the jump into all grain, and I only have one more keggle to outfit and while I was working today I said to myself "self why can't I use aluminum bulkheads?" When I went to answer myself I could not think of a good counter argument I could not come up with one. So a little research later and I found a aluminum coupling on McMaster Carr part number 44705K52 http://www.mcmaster.com/#=fittid my question is there any danger in using this other than the fact that if will likely wear out in 10 years unlike stainless which should last through my grandkids?

1. Heavy oxidation in a threaded area
  2. expansion and contraction at a very different rate than Stainless Steel
  3. is the price difference worth the cons?

find somewhere else in your system to cut corners

Both great points, I figured it would be a bad idea, and with the difference between bulkhead costs being only 4 bucks at the most and me only needing one more bulkhead it really would not be worth it.

yeah I had a great company that could supply me with aluminum couplers, nice npt treaded, standard sizing. But they said it was not potable water safe.

Back