Aluminum Brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a search. This has been discussed at length a few times in the very recent past. Pretty much, everything has been said that can be said in those threads. No use rediscussing it.

Do not build with aluminum. I found out the hard way this past weekend. I've read several opinions about aluminum brewstands but didn't see a definite answer. I was leery when I built the stand but my access to aluminum made me risk it.

I can most definitely tell you now, DON'T DO IT. My Banjo burners melted 3/8" thick aluminum flat stock I was using to hold by SS burner shields (which were holding my burners). The bolts I had running through the center of the 1-1/2" wide by 3/8" flat stock, transferred enough heat to melt the flat stock (standing on edge) into a V. It also started melting some of the welds that were at least 6" from any direct flame.

I plan on using the base of the cart but making a new top out of 1-1/2" X 1/8" wall SS tubing.

Glad this thread was started. Otherwise, I may not have seen this:

Do not build with aluminum. I found out the hard way this past weekend. I've read several opinions about aluminum brewstands but didn't see a definite answer. I was leery when I built the stand but my access to aluminum made me risk it.

I can most definitely tell you now, DON'T DO IT. My Banjo burners melted 3/8" thick aluminum flat stock I was using to hold by SS burner shields (which were holding my burners). The bolts I had running through the center of the 1-1/2" wide by 3/8" flat stock, transferred enough heat to melt the flat stock (standing on edge) into a V. It also started melting some of the welds that were at least 6" from any direct flame.

I plan on using the base of the cart but making a new top out of 1-1/2" X 1/8" wall SS tubing.

Good to know. Never would have guessed 3/8" aluminum would do that. Little different than melting aluminum cans in a campfire.

My system is electric and I am just using an old steel frame table for the stand. Aluminum would be fine for me.

I downloaded this software just to see what kind of price I would get and all I did was drop down a rectangular box and the price was already $200. I don't think there is much use in me going any further with the design in the software. :D

Latest posts

Back