aluminum boiling pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why you shouldn't. Just my experience, but I've used 1 for nearly 3 years without issues.

some people are concerned about the affect of aluminum on your health and the health of the yeast. i think that is a bunch of crap. i use an aluminum boil pot (turkey fryer).

some of the best brewers i've ever chatted with on this forum only use aluminum.

the one thing i do suggest is that you boil a full pot of water for 30 minutes or 1 hour then dump the water when you have a new aluminum pot. this will help put a layer of non reactive oxidization on the inside of the pot. if possible, DO NOT scrub off the layer of oxidation inside the pot once you have it established.

I would be more worried whats in your cupboard or watersupply really.Ive always stayed away from any aluminum but i dont want to debate,its just my preference.The fda tells you all kinds of things are ok when they are not so i dont beleive them anyway.Cancer was not even around until the last century and look at how we do things so differnetly than they did centuries ago.I blame the pharmacetical,and food industry and those associated,way to go greedy muther****ers,trying to thin the herd and reduce the population count.Microwaves,Pft..deathfood.List goes on and on. I think its extremley funny how pharmacuticals have no long term study and the population is just an experiment,look at all the deaths, what fraud.
I know this was a bit off topic but not really this is part of what its all about.After finding out the craploads of stuff they get away with making a buck,i have no respect for deceit.

jonmohno said:
Cancer was not even around until the last century

Could it not be more logical to assume it was improperly diagnosed or attributed to "old age?". Just saying...

I agree corporate greed is terrible, but don't forget they have saved millions of people a year with medications manufactured in the last 25-50 years. They are not mankind's save all, but they serve a purpose.

I would be more worried whats in your cupboard or watersupply really.Ive always stayed away from any aluminum but i dont want to debate,its just my preference.The fda tells you all kinds of things are ok when they are not so i dont beleive them anyway.Cancer was not even around until the last century and look at how we do things so differnetly than they did centuries ago.I blame the pharmacetical,and food industry and those associated,way to go greedy muther****ers,trying to thin the herd and reduce the population count.Microwaves,Pft..deathfood.List goes on and on. I think its extremley funny how pharmacuticals have no long term study and the population is just an experiment,look at all the deaths, what fraud.
I know this was a bit off topic but not really this is part of what its all about.After finding out the craploads of stuff they get away with making a buck,i have no respect for deceit.

FYI cancer has been around thousands of years. Also, life has improved remarkably because of advances in pesticides and factory farming because chemicals in your food are not nearly as bad as a lack of proper nutrition due to proper food being unavailable. That being said, now that we have advanced, it is time to advance further and eliminate hormones/harmful chemicals from our diets. Also, I do agree that we need to take what the FDA says with a grain of salt because a lot of times its either total bull**** or not enough time has passed to know possible side effects.

Aluminum is pretty safe, though. Pretty straightforward science.

funny this was brought up i've been using an aluminum kettle since i started which was not too long ago.. i've got about 8 batches done and a few of them were extract. is anyone aware being that aluminum kettles conduct so well and they tend to be thin, does this make me more at risk to burning or rather carmelizing the lme ? i've got more of a twang on some of my beers and for what i can discern over the weeks and months of some the twangy sour almost taste has not gotten worse..leading me to think its not infection.. i;m at a loss , since i've gone all grain and am tryng to norrow done what this problem is..

forgot to mention today is the first day i've ever decided to splash 4ish gallons in my kettle and boiled it for about an hour.. i can see the oxidized layer now, could this be a contributing factor to my taste?

Try adding half towards the end of the boil.Stir it well and often at first,sometimes i can feel it on the bottom and i keep stirring. You may see a difference doing all grain, i think really its the freshness of the extract or grain also.Ive kind of picked up on a blander taste since i kept my extract around after making a big mail order purchase, it also darkens fairly quickly stored around 65ish. So i dont know whether to say to stick it in the fridge but thats what i did once i opened it.Also try dry malt extract see what you think, i think its fun trying to decide how lme,dme,partial, or all grain is.

i dont even brew with extract anymore to be honest.. and i've tried the late additions and cant really see much off a difference

I don't use aluminum and won't knowingly eat out of it. As was said before though not gonna argue about it. I did notice however that reynolds wrap has a new foil that has a paper backing to keep the aluminum from contacting the food for some reason.

So if I use aluminium, I "could" be fine or I "could" get cancer? ....hmmm....what to do....ha ha

Don't mind if I do!

funny this was brought up i've been using an aluminum kettle since i started which was not too long ago.. i've got about 8 batches done and a few of them were extract. is anyone aware being that aluminum kettles conduct so well and they tend to be thin, does this make me more at risk to burning or rather carmelizing the lme ? i've got more of a twang on some of my beers and for what i can discern over the weeks and months of some the twangy sour almost taste has not gotten worse..leading me to think its not infection.. i;m at a loss , since i've gone all grain and am tryng to norrow done what this problem is..

forgot to mention today is the first day i've ever decided to splash 4ish gallons in my kettle and boiled it for about an hour.. i can see the oxidized layer now, could this be a contributing factor to my taste?

Aluminum will transfer heat faster than stainless steel (of similar thickness) so it can burn more easily. So you need to either adjust your heat down a little, or keep a closer eye on it. On the flip side, it cools down faster. One of the first things you should do with a new AL pot is boil water in it for 30 minutes or so to create an oxide layer. I don't think there are any credible links to Al and cancer or Alzheimer's (if there was, I probably forgot about it...)

I don't use aluminum and won't knowingly eat out of it. As was said before though not gonna argue about it. I did notice however that reynolds wrap has a new foil that has a paper backing to keep the aluminum from contacting the food for some reason.

Do you go to restaurants? If so, I guarantee you that you're eating food that's been cooked in aluminum.

As for the foil, I think that's to keep acidic foods away from the foil so it doesn't dissolve over long storage periods.

Also, for whoever mentioned that aluminum pots are usually thin and can lead to scorching, you might want to look into a heavy duty stockpot. My boil kettle is a 40 qt stockpot that's 6mm thick (roughly 1/4"). $75 at my local restaurant supply store.

gr8shandini said:
Do you go to restaurants? If so, I guarantee you that you're eating food that's been cooked in aluminum.

As for the foil, I think that's to keep acidic foods away from the foil so it doesn't dissolve over long storage periods.

Also, for whoever mentioned that aluminum pots are usually thin and can lead to scorching, you might want to look into a heavy duty stockpot. My boil kettle is a 40 qt stockpot that's 6mm thick (roughly 1/4"). $75 at my local restaurant supply store.

Good point

Don't mind if I do!

Aluminum is fine. I use it, brews have been all good and I win competitions every time I enter. The argument is not based on experiment, just "I read somewhere that" knowledge. You won't get sick, that is urban legend.

And not to stoke flames, but to the fellow that said cancer is new, it is like saying "My foot wasn't broken until I got that x-Ray" or "The meal I cooked for you was delicious until you tasted it."

This arguement has been going on for as long as i can remember. Use Al. pots or SS. pots. you have pros and cons for both. i think this arguement is in a Sticky.

I love my aluminum brew kettle. It's fantastic, was cheap, is light and easy to clean, and makes delicious beer.

It hasn't given me alzheimers yet, but at least it hasn't given me alzheimers yet.

Just read in Palmer's book today that brewing in aluminium bilingual pot is the same as taking an antiacid pill and to not worry

Don't mind if I do!

Lol. Freaking auto correct! Was supposed to be boiling pot

Don't mind if I do!

Back