Alternative to Auber PT100 RTDs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gron

Reaction score
I guess you didn't check eBay or amazon...there's lots of options...these are the same sensors as auber sell only with a better cable.. I use a couple myself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-T...018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item58bfaaa662

Thanks. I checked Amazon but just found stuff sold by Auber. I've occassionally gotten some real crap on eBay in the past so I actually didn't check there. But thanks, I'll look into that one. Do you own any of those eBay PT100s?

I've looked myself and they are all on the slow boat from China. The Price is right but the wait is lengthy and most likely ZERO customer service if they don't work right.

Any sold in the US?

I've looked myself and they are all on the slow boat from China. The Price is right but the wait is lengthy and most likely ZERO customer service if they don't work right.

Any sold in the US?

Yeah they are bought and resold by auber in the states for twice the price with shipping. Just like the mager SSRs auber rebrands and doubles the price on and their switches heatsinks and indicators Most of the stuff stocked by middlemen in the states is going to be marked up at least 35% higher in price....
If by some chance they don't work you contact the seller and they ship you a replacement... Or they refund you. At least that's the way its always worked for me.. I have made over a thousand purchases there over the last 15 years... I saved over $350 on mycontrol panel alone by making my purchases on eBay vs auberins... To me it was worth the extra 2 week wait

Someone needs to order a bunch of these. Once they get them mark them up say 10% and then sell some to me. I get a mark up but 50% or more just sucks! I hate waiting for the slow boat! Rant over!

Thanks. I checked Amazon but just found stuff sold by Auber. I've occassionally gotten some real crap on eBay in the past so I actually didn't check there. But thanks, I'll look into that one. Do you own any of those eBay PT100s?

I own two of those same sensors from the same seller... They work great. And I have about 5 of the cheaper $5-6 pt100's which honestly work just as well but are inconvenient to use and in some cases install because of size and no quick disconnect.

[link removed]

Not trying to to be negative insult anyone here, but those appear to be the exact same ones as I bought (and linked above) for $16 a piece except they have the 3 wires soldered to an xlr connector at the control panel end... I bought the xlr connectors for 99cents and added them myself since I had to do a lot of soldering in my build anyway. and those are the same price as what auber charges only with the better cable?

I could see the ones you have for sale being appealing to someone who doesn't own a soldering gun or doesn't want to wait the week and a half-2 weeks it took to ship from china.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to to be negative insult anyone here, but those appear to be the exact same ones as I bought (and linked above) for $16 a piece except they have the 3 wires soldered to an xlr connector at the control panel end... I bought the xlr connectors for 99cents and added them myself since I had to do a lot of soldering in my build anyway. and those are the same price as what auber charges only with the better cable?

I could see the ones you have for sale being appealing to someone who doesn't own a soldering gun or doesn't want to wait the week and a half-2 weeks it took to ship from china.

Of course, I expected a reply from you:)
No, they are not. These are 316 Stainless steel, not 304 Stainless. More corrosion resistant. And with better cable.
Auber sells the braided option for $12 more I think.
The ones on Ebay work. For a while. I wanted to supply those on my units but couldn't get them to last. So I had my own made.

No, they are not. These are 316 Stainless steel, not 304 Stainless. More corrosion resistant. And with better cable.
The ones on Ebay work. For a while. I wanted to supply those on my units but couldn't get them to last. So I had my own made.

Also, the eBay sensor is 50mm (2 inches) and will not fit into the center of a tee fitting

the difference between 316 and 304 stainless is completely a non issue in this application most of stainless kettles and such are either or and it also makes no difference unless you using induction then 404 or higher is better..... So they will work just as long... Both grades are rust proof unlike the harder grades of stainless..If you have some sort of actual evidence to say otherwise I really am open to hearing it?

As for the cables the ones on the sensors are plenty strong enough for what they are...The connectors at both ends mean they wont really see much abuse anyway... good point about the length though I was pretty sure that ebay has different length ones...I know they have the short versions and longer versions of the cheaper ones without the quick disconnects (which I own many of) and those come with the braided stainless cable which I dont care for because it kinks easily and the wires get damaged inside plus they snag on things... The cables on the ones l linked are like cat 5 network cables by comparison...

And your "For a While" comment. what is that based on exactly? Is that just to scare customers your way or do you have some actual evidence to support that these will fail and not hold up just as well as the version you distribute?

EDIT*** I took another look at my setup...

#1 most of my fittings are marked 304 grade stainless which includes most of the stuff I got from bargainfittings.com So If you are suggesting that the 304 grade stainless is inferior and wont hold up I believe there are a lot of members here that would beg to differ...

#2 the probe length on the ebat probes I ordered is 1.5" not 2" So I can only assume they they count the threaded portion of the NPT connector as additional probe length... this also explains why mine appear to be exactly as long as the "Brau" ones linked above...However upon closer examination I can see the auber/brau probes (which are the same despite the different cable and auber not advertising the steel grade) are in fact slightly different in design than the ones on ebay... This could mean a different supplier or different machining for the "304" ones...

Of course none of this really matter because I have been using these for months now and my HLT is permanently filled with water...Theres no sign of corrosion whatsoever as expected)

Also, the eBay sensor is 50mm (2 inches) and will not fit into the center of a tee fitting
They are 2" from the base of the threads to the tip..(just like the Brau supply ones linked here. the probe is 1.5" and you need a 1" probe to fit into the center port on most 1/2" tees sold only aberins has these that I know of and they are advertised as 1.5" . Take a good look at the 1.5" aberins one. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=249 pictured here and compare it to the one pictured in the Brua supply link (which is actually the same as auberins sells as 2")
brau is measuring the probe while the others include the mounting threads in the measurement..

I mount mine in the end port of my MT exit tee and this works just fine..

I just bought the Aubers probes with cables and the pigtails for mounting in the cabinet and I am very impressed. they charge a small premium for a turn key product. I too though about mounting the longer probe in the end of the tee, but since I am spending thousands on the brewery, I figured the 1" probes were worth it.

Chris

I just bought the Aubers probes with cables and the pigtails for mounting in the cabinet and I am very impressed. they charge a small premium for a turn key product. I too though about mounting the longer probe in the end of the tee, but since I am spending thousands on the brewery, I figured the 1" probes were worth it.

Chris
OK But just so we are clear,
By That" small premium" you LITERALLY mean double the price... $37-40 vs $18-$20 shipped for the same comparable product without as sold elsewhere for under $20 shipped... As long as you consider double the price for ? a "small premium"

I just dont get how double the price can be considered a small premium for anything.. true you can save yourself 5 minutes with a solding gun and a 99cent xlr connector if you decide to pay an additional $15-17 to have them solder one on for you and make a "pigtail" but then we are comparing $53 or so with shipping to $20 worth of hardware and 5 minutes work with a $7 soldering iron.. Right? Or am I wrong? when you compare three sensor going this route vs the other you are comparing about $70-75 total investment to $150 on just this... it adds up fast. Plus you could use the soldering gun and wire/solder to save on other aspects of the build.

It quite likely that Your logic here is the main reason your spending "thousands" on a home brewing setup in the first place so thats a poor way to justify throwing more money at something.

LETS not forget the reason the OP created this thread... He was looking for a comparable product for a more reasonable rate than what Auber was asking... We shouldnt even be having this argument...

As long as you consider double the price for ? a "small premium"

I consider it a small premium in relation to the scope of the overall project.

Your mileage may vary, but paying $40-50 more for the correct probes e.g. 1" extension for the 1/2" tees unlike the 2" probes you need to make do with plus pre-made cords and pigtails that will directly mount into my cabinet made sense to me. I am using Mypin TD4s instead of the Aubers to save money.

I see you are building a "budget build," I don't really have a budget.

Chris

I am using Mypin TD4s instead of the Aubers to save money.

I see you are building a "budget build," I don't really have a budget.

Chris
I find these two statements together a bit odd and counterdicting myself .. You say you have no budget concerns yet you made purchases to save money?
If you really mounted all your probes into tees and needed them orientated a certain was for some reason I could see buying those for that reason...But like said, I mounted one of my 1.5" probes in a tee with no problems... I just mounted it in the end port and have the ball valve mounted to the center port in the Tee... It works just as well but then The point of my system is primarily to make beer so function takes priority.

Augie. You are a champion street fighter.

No seriously, I have no interest in an argument with you. I made mine out of 316 Stainless. 316 stainless costs more. It is more corrosion resistant. You are right. Not a deal with beer brewing. But, these can be used in other applications. Or, you can use harsh cleansers and not to worry. Some people like that, some don't.
As far as the ones I ordered from eBay are concerned. The solder joints didn't last. So, possibly, you get what you pay for. I wasn't happy so, I had my own made.
If they work for you great. Every beer brewer out there has different values. Some, only buy what is the cheapest. Others, will pay Auber because that is a brand they trust. I'm perfectly happy to let people choose what they wish.
And, if they choose Ebay's $19 sensors or a more expensive one, good for them. To suggest however that all of these sensors are of the exact same quality is wrong.

Augie. You are a champion street fighter.

No seriously, I have no interest in an argument with you. I made mine out of 316 Stainless. 316 stainless costs more. It is more corrosion resistant. You are right. Not a deal with beer brewing. But, these can be used in other applications. Or, you can use harsh cleansers and not to worry. Some people like that, some don't.
As far as the ones I ordered from eBay are concerned. The solder joints didn't last. So, possibly, you get what you pay for. I wasn't happy so, I had my own made.
If they work for you great. Every beer brewer out there has different values. Some, only buy what is the cheapest. Others, will pay Auber because that is a brand they trust. I'm perfectly happy to let people choose what they wish.
And, if they choose Ebay's $19 sensors or a more expensive one, good for them. To suggest however that all of these sensors are of the exact same quality is wrong.
You made them out of 316 stainless? So you manufactured these and they are not from the same manufacturer as the ones Auberins sells? (Feilong) They sure look like the same ones only ordered with a different cable..they even use the same exact same connector a d colored wires as the pictures the manufacturer uses to distribute them on aliexpress.com (where you can buy them in lots of 5 for $60 if I remember right). I'm willing to bet they are both made of the same stainless and I challenge you to provide some proof otherwise especially since auber doesnt say they what theirs are made of. I know how Alibaba works too...its easy for anyone to order a few hundred units and spec them with their own options. this doesnt mean that manufacturer isnt selling the same thing locally or to anyone else whos willing to pay and quite honestly that exactly what happens in china.

I say without any actual evidence, to suggest that one of these probes are better quality than another just because they go through an additional American distributor such as yourself and YOU decide to mark them up is just as wrong. Its a guilty until proven innocent approach that benefits your sales... and a common marketing tactic used by too many middlemen these days.

I have yet to see one complaint from anyone using the ones I linked above to support your claims and my experience with them does not fall inline with your claims at all. So I have to call a spade when I see it here..

LOL...

Auggie, you need to spend more time brewing and less time picking fights with everyone you don't know...
I don't use Ali Express. I lived in China for a while. I know how it works
Now go make some beer brotha...:drunk::D

LOL...

Auggie, you need to spend more time brewing and less time picking fights with everyone you don't know...
I don't use Ali Express. I lived in China for a while. I know how it works
Now go make some beer brotha...:drunk::D
You dont have to... The point is the company that manufacturers the sensors you sell as your own sells them for like $12 a piece there. with shipping they are about $20 unless you order more than 5. When you spec something to be manufactured for you it will almost always ultimately end up there.. (especially when it was already being sold long before you started ordering it with a different cheaper stainless braid cable)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/liqu...ouple-RTD-Sensor-PT100-Sensor/1653111706.html
Edit**
Oh look it appears they are already selling your unique "Custom made to your specs" sensors with the exact same wires and out of the 316 stainless that only "you" carry.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...or-with-ss-braid-cable/100309_1653111807.html

and with triclover fittings as well...
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...nsor-with-small-flange/100309_1653174872.html

At least I found the proof that your sensors are made of 316 stainless (not that it matters for brewing)
and heres the 304 stainless ones that will work just as well.. they also have different cable configurations and sensor lengths...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...or-with-1-2-BSP-thread/100309_1653084894.html
Whos picking a fight? I just asked for actual data or evidence to support the accusations that you made.. and the claims that your sensors are made of 316 and all the rest are not... Its a fair request.
Someone started this thread to ask about more reasonably priced sensors than what auberins sells and you chime in with basically the same sensors and plugs as auberins with a different cable and at the same price as auberins. How was that productive to the thread topic? then you basically imply the sensors not sold by you wont last and go on to claim your sensors are superior because they are made of 316 stainless vs 304 that wont last even though about 80% of the stainless products sold and used for homebrewing is 304 (example would be a duda diesel chiller SS brewing technology, stout conical ,kettles and yes even blichmann uses 304 stainless for most of thier products including the boilermakers and fermentors) and I have never heard of a single issue as result from using 304 stainless in homebrewing myself? Surely you have some references of this since you make the claim and are bashing other products?
It kind of sounds like you were the one picking the fight by trying blow smoke up people A$$ to push your product?

Hey hey now everybody, let's cool it. Let's try to remain friendly. It's great to talk about brewing equipment, their pros and cons, etc. Seems like that's what's happening, so I'm not sure why the rooms getting hot.

If you're a vendor and you want to push your product here on this enthusiast forum, and ask members to consider its virtues vs another product posted here, you must be prepared to answer critical questions.

If you're not a vendor but you want to push your products here, those links will be removed.

Back