Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
Ok so I am looking to make a no **** real Altbier... I found a recipe that calls for 8lbs of Munich Malt...on morebeer.com it says "This malt contains about half the enzyme potential of 2 row malt, which is enough to self convert in a mash. It can be steeped in an extract brew to achieve some of the flavor contribution, but will not add any sugars in a steep" what is this saying in laymen terms? It sounds like it will not produce fermentable sugars.

Ok so I am looking to make a no **** real Altbier... I found a recipe that calls for 8lbs of Munich Malt...on morebeer.com it says "This malt contains about half the enzyme potential of 2 row malt, which is enough to self convert in a mash. It can be steeped in an extract brew to achieve some of the flavor contribution, but will not add any sugars in a steep" what is this saying in laymen terms? It sounds like it will not produce fermentable sugars.

It will produce plenty of fermentable sugars if you mash it. If you are going to use 8 lbs of Munich malt I assume you are mashing.

Why don't you post the recipe? An altbier may include some Munich although the majority of the malt will be pilsner.

MoreBeer is saying Munich will Mash (In the proper sense of the term, i.e. between 140F and 158F) however will not convert (Starch to sugar) at steeping temps, i.e. 170F and above. Steeping is essentially making tea, pulling out color and some flavor; while, Mashing (Proper) is a carefully calculated water to grist ratio, resting in a monitored environment (temperature), with a specific and measured Ph... Mashing. Yes?

-JM

MoreBeer is saying Munich will Mash (In the proper sense of the term, i.e. between 140F and 158F) however will not convert (Starch to sugar) at steeping temps, i.e. 170F and above. Steeping is essentially making tea, pulling out color and some flavor; while, Mashing (Proper) is a carefully calculated water to grist ratio, resting in a monitored environment (temperature), with a specific and measured Ph... Mashing. Yes?

-JM

JM thanks I see what you are saying. I appreciate the clarification.

Look for the Kaiser Alt recipe in the recipes section under amber hybrid beer.

Back