Also have low carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutcase168

Reaction score
So similar to another thread my last 2 batches have been woefully under carbonated:

1st: Red ale
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
2 week primary
6 week secondary
5 oz priming sugar
Time in bottles: months

You get the FSST! but when you pour it out there is no head and it just tastes flat.

2nd: Kolsch
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010
2 week primary
3 week secondary
5 oz priming sugar
Time in bottles: 2 weeks @68

My latest batch, You get the FSST! but when you pour it out there is no head, I've made this beer before with the same recipe and had no issue but now I'm concerned after the last batch. The bottles are clear and there is a slight film of yeast on the bottom of the bottles.

So, am I just not adding enough sugar or something else? And is there anything I can do to these batches?

Regular 12oz bottles? Normal caps? Possibly a leak? Head retention has to do with the proteins. Was it an extract? If you used irish moss or whirfloc you could have dropped out some proteins. Dirty glasses can also affect head. Did you try to rinse out your glasses before you poured? Just a couple of ideas.

Regular 12 oz bottles
Normal Caps
I wouldn't expect the FsssT with a leak
Yes, both partial mash brews
Did not rinse glass (will try that tonight)
No Irish Moss in this batch.

Back