Alright already, I got a hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@applescrap I thought you took all the bashing from the forum over you lager fermentation temps, not because you didn't use a hydrometer? Or was it for both?

Anyway, I put my hydrometer directly in the FV also. I don't recall why this is not supposed to be a good idea.
My hydrometer is at least 15 years old (previous owner included).
It isn't a good idea because you had to open up your bucket and introduce oxygen into it when you put the hydrometer into it, unless it was in there from the start in which case it meant you had to open it to read it, unless it was a glass carboy, in which case, forget it.

Get a 4 or 6 oz hydro tube and take a sample. You can drink it after it is read and don't have to worry about it breaking in your beer.

Have you just used a refractometer up to now? How do you know ABV, or don't you care?

Last edited:
@BitterSweetBrews
It does read like I put the hydrometer in and close it up. I don't do that. I never open the FV after I close it. I totally agree with your oxygen warning. I take an OG, ferment for three weeks, take an FG reading and bottle. This could be considered dangerous as I don't take two FG readings. I LOVE to get an ABV estimate which is one of my favorite aspects. I also like to ensure that the yeast has fermented to the number I'm looking for. I only use dry and no starter. So far, so good; I've been lucky and always get within .004 of my target.
I haven't used a refractometer and my understanding of them is minimal. I can always look it up but I don't see a need for one (keep in mind that I know next to nothing about them).
I see mentions regarding needing to use a hydro tube (as you suggested) and in addition, cautions about hydrometer breakage. The only danger I can think of is if I were to drop the hydrometer into the FV from a distance, then it might dive and break if/when it hits the bottom. But it seems pretty obvious not to do that--thin glass and all that. I gently lower the hydrometer into the liquid until it floats and then carefully remove it.
As mentioned by another poster, the biggest problem I face, and that occurs only during an OG reading, is finding a clear area with no bubbles.
Thank you for the info.

@BitterSweetBrews
The only danger I can think of is if I were to drop the hydrometer into the FV from a distance, then it might dive and break if/when it hits the bottom. But it seems pretty obvious not to do that--thin glass and all that. I gently lower the hydrometer into the liquid until it floats and then carefully remove it.

Like a youtube video of people dropping stuff off tall buildings onto stuff! i bet you get 1M views on something like that! "Floating hydrometer in 5 gal bucket of homebrew from 10 stories up" :rock:

Like a youtube video of people dropping stuff off tall buildings onto stuff! i bet you get 1M views on something like that! "Floating hydrometer in 5 gal bucket of homebrew from 10 stories up" :rock:
Oddly satisfying???

Haha, never thought I would. But there it was and I wanted to make sure my kbs clone was done. Problem is I have no idea what to do with it or how to calculate anything. Guess Im glad to have some data. With the kbs, I wiggled the bucket at about ten days and again a few days later and was surprised at what I found. Of course in true applescrap fashion I floated it in the bucket. I think this says 1.01something. Chocolate floating on top as always with this beer. Also got new bag to help elminate poor filtering from cheap bag. Already feel kind of obligated to use it now that I have it. Nice knowing this beer attenuated so well. Other than this not entirely sure when or where to use it. Overall, glad to have a new brew toy.View attachment 597409
Wow so that is what I should be doing. I guess that was taken with lid off something.Lol. I am not bashing you for posting pictures of proof
Just wanted to let you know that I think it is great.

Here are some ideas that will help one see the art of brewing. Think about steak for a second. I know there are differences, but consider a decent cooking method and a quality temp probe. Just like brewing the temp probe is important. Assuming there is more relevant data two equal steaks could be bettered (reaching here) by a spectrometer, weight data, etc...but could that data turn a round steak into a filet or a kobe steak. Now think brewing, does sticking a hydrometer into a beer turn cheap grain into golden promise. Bad tap water into the best spring water in america. Stale hops into fresh pacific northwest hops. So the question must be asked what is really important, ingredient quality, water quality, or a hydrometer. Would you be willing to take a bet that you get to use hydrometer and fermentation fridge against neither, but the neither gets golden promise, treated water or spring and fresh hops. The fridge and hydrometer gets discount grain, bad tasting tap and stale hops. Which will taste better? Obviously the ideal answer is both good ingredients and professional process measures would be best. But thats not the point, the point is to try and think a little artistically. A key idea is the lack of measurement and fermentation temp control should not mean the brewer has no knowledge and that the beer is bad. It might just be golden promise, spring water, and fresh pacific Northwest hops.

Here are some ideas that will help one see the art of brewing. Think about steak for a second. I know there are differences, but consider a decent cooking method and a quality temp probe. Just like brewing the temp probe is important. Assuming there is more relevant data two equal steaks could be bettered (reaching here) by a spectrometer, weight data, etc...but could that data turn a round steak into a filet or a kobe steak. Now think brewing, does sticking a hydrometer into a beer turn cheap grain into golden promise. Bad tap water into the best spring water in america. Stale hops into fresh pacific northwest hops. So the question must be asked what is really important, ingredient quality, water quality, or a hydrometer. Would you be willing to take a bet that you get to use hydrometer and fermentation fridge against neither, but the neither gets golden promise, treated water or spring and fresh hops. The fridge and hydrometer gets discount grain, bad tasting tap and stale hops. Which will taste better? Obviously the ideal answer is both good ingredients and professional process measures would be best. But thats not the point, the point is to try and think a little artistically. A key idea is the lack of measurement and fermentation temp control should not mean the brewer has no knowledge and that the beer is bad. It might just be golden promise, spring water, and fresh pacific Northwest hops.[/QUOTE... the art of grilling and chilling..1 beer flip...2 beer finshed
IMG_20180531_180715.jpg

IMG_20180531_180715.jpg
fisrt beer flip second beer done.I am not a " Beer Troll"

Okay thanks.. I have a question for you, I can find the thread so i will ask. My kegs are hanging out having a cool place.
But I have a shop with a pit , like stand up and change the oil..th t pit is 6 x 2 and 4 deep. How should I use it with my brewing?I mainly do ale..

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_111727.jpg
    IMG_20181128_111727.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Here are some ideas that will help one see the art of brewing. Think about steak for a second. I know there are differences, but consider a decent cooking method and a quality temp probe. Just like brewing the temp probe is important. Assuming there is more relevant data two equal steaks could be bettered (reaching here) by a spectrometer, weight data, etc...but could that data turn a round steak into a filet or a kobe steak. Now think brewing, does sticking a hydrometer into a beer turn cheap grain into golden promise. Bad tap water into the best spring water in america. Stale hops into fresh pacific northwest hops. So the question must be asked what is really important, ingredient quality, water quality, or a hydrometer. Would you be willing to take a bet that you get to use hydrometer and fermentation fridge against neither, but the neither gets golden promise, treated water or spring and fresh hops. The fridge and hydrometer gets discount grain, bad tasting tap and stale hops. Which will taste better? Obviously the ideal answer is both good ingredients and professional process measures would be best. But thats not the point, the point is to try and think a little artistically. A key idea is the lack of measurement and fermentation temp control should not mean the brewer has no knowledge and that the beer is bad. It might just be golden promise, spring water, and fresh pacific Northwest hops.
Oh yeah I like Coors.. when I lived in Littleton.. yes I can easily put a pinic tap on the keg to pull sample ABV..why? What is the range for 20 lbs of two.plus the range of vennia...5.5-6 ?

Now think brewing, does sticking a hydrometer into a beer turn cheap grain into golden promise. Bad tap water into the best spring water in america. Stale hops into fresh pacific northwest hops. So the question must be asked what is really important, ingredient quality, water quality, or a hydrometer. .

I personally prefer a hydrometer, and use 2 year old hops i get for a discount. And 6-row feed store barley i malt myself! :cask:

Are you the malt guy? I love that thread. Got really into it. Good on you. Wonder if I could grow my own. I can get pretty good deals here if needed. I can get 35 dollar 50 pound sacks of malt europe. It could be worse. Hell it could always be worse. I made a blackcherry cider recently that, dang, its hard to beat that stuff for quaffable discount. At 2.40 I think the members mark juice is and the simple truth organic quart of juice is similar or 3.50, thats under six for 12 beers. Wait that's a little more than the cheap grain beers. Anyways love that stuff. The mm juice tastes pretty good to me.

I cant wait to see what the gravity is of it by the way with my new dipstick. Its like a cool toy. Hope I dont f... something up farting around with it!

Am I? not sure, i have been cussed out for malting my own, and using $8 a pound pellet hops here!

i pick up a #50 bag of 6-row for 12.99..make a 10 gal batch of 8% for ~8 bucks. and 6 for 12 beers is why i don't make more cider.

You'll love your new toy! like a thermometer, it's fun. just don't drop it into the fermenter from the top of a ten story building! (unless you post it on youtube)

and i drop it in my bucket too!

And growing your own? i only have a small garden and can't even grow enough tobacco for a year!

Back