alpha amylase powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a homebrew store in Tulsa Oklahoma that sells it.
I forget their name atm but i'm sure they will show up on google.

I get it from my LHBS but, most online outlets have it. It is used primarily for winemaking.

Here is one source: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/amylase-enzyme.html

Just know that it is temperature dependent. It doesn't do much in a mash. It will go crazy at fermentation temperatures. That's what they design it for. To clear up unwanted starch in wine.

Amylases work well at 150-155 degrees. If you get too much higher temp wise it will be destroyed by heat. Alpha type does the initial break down. If you want to really break it down further wait an hour and add some beta amylase to obtain the highly fermentable sugars. To check you results you can do a simple starch/iodine test. With all the un-malted rice used in non traditional beers today this is a common procedure. If a brew supplier doesn't have it, most wine supply places do. I have some liquid enzymes that have manufacture directions for 120 cc / 500gal, so it doesn't take a whole lot.

Leeinwa

Just a note, if you want a totally gluten free beer you should be wary of the original source of the alpha amylase. My LHS sells alpha amylase powder but through some research it turns out the alpha amylase originate from barley. The amount of gluten in the final beer from this would be minimal, but if its a 100% GF beer you are going for its something worth investigating IMO.

The liquid amylase products made by novozymes are gluten free, and seem to work well.
Termamyl: thermo stable alpha amylase. Aids in jelitinization and is not denatured at mash temps.
AMG-300: exo-alpha amylase. Active at around 140F, but it does have activity at fermentation temps as well.
You can buy them at Anapolis homebrew.

Back