Almost a bad brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snazzy

Reaction score
Well I woke up this morning and started to get ready to brew. Went to the fridge to grab my nottingham so it can warm. To my surprise my LHBS ent me MUNICH yeast and I did not realize. Luckily I had a spare notty in the back somewhere. What would a mild ale taste like with munich anyway?

If that was not a big deal this was. My buddy and I were trying the spent grains with a spoon [being silly], and when I went to stir my rehydrated yeast I grabbed the spoon we were eating off of instead of the steralized one. Oops, think there is high risk of infection?

Any way enough of my rambling, my real question is my basement has raised to 73 deg. the last few days. Should I do something to cool the ferment down or will it be fine. I thought of a wet t-shirt to cool, but not sure if I should wait till fermentation starts or do it right away.

thanks for any comments

Risk of infection, sure. Would I sweat it, no. RDWHAHB.

I would recommendgettng the temperature down ASAP. Use the t-shirt method or a cooler/plastic bin with some ice.

The best advice I have is always be sanitary and think before you act. I use a spray bottle with mixed Starsan in it for easy sanitizing while brewing.

Always try to keep fermentation at the recommended temperature.

I use 66F for ales. Most "off tastes" are because of high fermentation temperatures. Nottingham works well at this temperature.

Back