All wheat beer - with unmalted wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjolu340

Reaction score
So it has been discussed a couple of time that making an all wheat beer is not an issue if you can handle the sparging.

As my ambition is to use as much local produce as possible and I actually have my own unmalted wheat - here is my question:

What do you think about making a beer with 50% wheat malt and 50% unmalted wheat? Lightly hopped and with a german hefeweissen yeast.

Sparging should not be an issue if I do it with BIAB (which I will). And the cereal mash will of course be needed also. The question really is there enough diastatic (spelling!?) power in the malted wheat to convert the starch from the unmalted?

Briess wheat malt has a DP of about 140, cutting that with 50% unmalted should still leave enough DP to convert as long as you do a good cereal mash.

The particular malt I'm using is Viking Malt (actually fairly local aswell) - diastatic power is listed as min 200 in the fact sheets for this product: http://www.vikingmalt.com/en/?id=188

Nice! Ill do step infusion with half an hour protein rest and then rest at 66 (C) for an hour or so. Ferment in the middle of the yeasts preferred temperature to get some of the characteristics for a wheat.

By the way - it worked but I did get low effectivity (73% rather than my usual 81) but the beer turned out great and very wheaty...

Back