All in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
Well... after wanting to brew in the 70's (I wish I had those cases of Grolsch 16's I saved in the basement of the house I rented) I'm finally brewing. Jump, ummm, 35 some odd years... 7 years into Retirement... I see eventual trouble affording the $13 a six pack beers I enjoy so much. So with time on my hands and a desire to drink great affordable beers I took the plunge.

In for a penny, in for a pound the saying goes. It wasn't until I scored $35 corny kegs this winter that I really got going. Now after scavenging, re-purposing and building things I have a brewery! I geared towards being able to brew 10 gallon batches from the beginning and 5 gallon "heavies." So in 4 months or so I've spent over $1500 on "stuff" to brew and dispense beer with. Best money ever spent and best hobby I've ever pursued.

I've made 7 five gallon batches so far. I've brewed all grain from the first batch which was an Arrogant Bastard Clone I tweaked a little. I pretty much have a rotation list of beers I always want on hand/in hand! My keezer holds 6 kegs. My goal is to have 4 kegs on tap, 2 dry hopping/clearing or conditioning beer and 2 batches sitting in primary. I use BeerSmith as my log (with a backup on a thumb drive.) and design aid. Brewing beer has come such a long way since the 70's.

This summers project is to build a brew haus. I live in the city of Buffalo NY and have one of those old monster houses. Basement, 1st and 2nd living floors and attic = just about 6,000 sqft under roof (1,500 per floor.) Plus a 7 car garage with a carriage house above. I would like to turn the carriage house into brew house but it is a wreck. But we shall see. I'm sure I can find a space to dedicate to brewing.

Anyway, oh introductions!!! My name is Chuck! I live in Buffalo NY. Been here 10 years. I transferred here when the Ford plant in Edison NY closed where I was a Pipe fitter. I did live in PA before the transfer. Ford made me an offer after a few years here that I couldn't refuse and I retired at the age of 52. Life's been good and now that I'm brewing it's better. If you've read all this.......thanks! And I will be brewing 10 gallons this weekend!

Posting pics of some gear and new keezer (picnic taps right now) Oh and there's no wife to deal with!

some of the gearE.jpg

keezerE.jpg

Welcome and congrats!

Interestingly enough my buddy moved out to Buffalo about 7 years ago and is still there today. Beer and outstanding wings, color me jealous. If only I could get the SWMBO to sign off on spending another $800 or so I'd have my setup all done...till I needed more or course.

@Marc77... I love it here and the beer scene keeps getting better. We now have several major beer "fests". Buffalo Winter Beer Fest, there's a Winter Bash that has both beer and wine, Buffalo on Tap Kraft Beer festival, Buffalo Brew Fest and Buffalo Beer Week at the beginning of which is my favorite event the Ballpark Brewbash at Coca-Cola field. It is one of the best beer tastings I've been to. Each brewery brings 2 beers, either production or special. They set up around the stadium mezzanine and outfield warning track two breweries to an EZ-UP canopy. Plus more here and there. Last year there were over 50 breweries there.

So Buffalo is a great beer city. We also have another new $1M kraft brewery opening this year, Resurgence Brewery. Where the tasting bar will be right in the same room where they brew while they are brewing and you can chat with the brew master as he mashes in! Plus a Beer Garden with bocce courts (I don't play.) This one is near where I live. Another is going in near downtown, Big Ditch Brewing.

And a last note, your set up is never done!!!

Back