All grain..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhandransmith

Reaction score
Wats the best all grain beer out there today?? I wouldn't mind getting some information and recipes from everyone. Cheers!!

The best one is the simplest one when you are first starting out. Use recipes to learn, but keep the grain bill simple so you can see what the various grains do. Don't get addicted to recipes, and always remember that no matter what - you will NEVER duplicate what someone else has done, and any "clone beer" you brew will not taste like the original. There are too many variables, and your brew system and techniques will be different.

Just brew up a simple beer with a base malt and one other grain. Learn what the various grains taste like. For instance, brew a basic Pale Ale - 8-9lbs of 2row, and 1/2 lb of Crystal 60. 35IBUs, and a few ounces of hops to finish. Simple, easy, and good. After that, experiment by replacing the Crystal with another type of grain, and see what that tastes like. Maybe double the amount. Change hops next time, or double the flavor additions or whatever.

In the beginning, if you use recipes with a several different grains - you may make good beer, but you won't know what the various grains are doing for you. Complicated recipes don't equal better beers, necessarily.

I'll bite...whatever is my fermenter, my keg or on deck to be made?

Seriously though, tons of recipes in that section of this site. Based on your other posts, you are pretty new to the hobby so consider some the all grain kits from the bigger online guys like Northern Brewery, Austin Homebrew Supplies, MoreBeer, etc.

why don't you post the kinds of beers you like and we can offer up some recipe ideas for you to try. the winning poster gets to explain the recipe to you.

Try a SMaSH recipe, gives you the most pure version of any one malt and one hop variety while delivering a great beer.

On an unrelated note; I nominate this thread for the most loaded, subjective and open ended question of the year. It's September so I'm feeling pretty good about my nomination, although the myriad of Oktoberfest questions haven't hit yet...

Back on the serious train, SMaSH - look em up, plenty of them on here.

Cheers

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!! I'm happy I registered, everyone knows what there talking about and always helpful. Cheers!!

Back