All grain vs extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lvhomebrewdad

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to try and do a second brew. My first one ended in utter failure. So this time instead of jumping 2 feet first off the deep end I thought I would ask. What is the easiest method for brewing? All grain or using extract? I have all the equipment needed just not the knowledge.

Utter failure usually means a fermentation problem. Best to lick that before you invest all the time in all grain. Extract is certainly easier.

Extract is the easiest- and you can make excellent beers with extract, though it does limit your options recipe-wise.

Extract plus steeping grains is pretty easy and you can brew darn near anything.

Extract is the most complicated, but with Brew In A Bag (or BIAB for short) it isn't all that tough and you can fine tune the process any way you like.

I brewed extract only for years just for simplicity. Even now, I still reach for extract when I want a quick and easy brew session.

basicbrewing.com
The guys are great and make things easy to understand. They have 6 or 7 years of video and audio podcasts that goes over almost every topic. They even do some cooking to go with the beers.

I recommend that, and just practicing. Do a test holding 155 deg water for steeping. Do a test boil to accurately get you boil off rate. Practice using your autosyphon, no bubbles allowed. Sanitation and bottling have mangy steps to they a grip on. Do these types of things with just water, there's no stress in it. If you have some problems with it you will learn techniques for getting back on track or just what doesn't work for you.

A few practice runs over a weekend and you'll be much more sound in technique to apply it to a brew.

So I'm getting ready to try and do a second brew. My first one ended in utter failure. So this time instead of jumping 2 feet first off the deep end I thought I would ask. What is the easiest method for brewing? All grain or using extract? I have all the equipment needed just not the knowledge.

Could you elaborate about the utter failure on your first brew day? Maybe we can at least help you out a bit with that.

As far as what is easier, extract is quite a bit easier. I did two extract brews before I took the plunge into all-grain brewing. I'm glad I got that experience with the extract brewing before starting all-grain.

This being said, making the leap from extract to AG was not all that difficult, although it seemed very daunting. I was surprised that AG was not nearly as difficult as I had envisioned in my head. What I did was watch probably half a dozen YouTube videos on how to AG brew, read up on the process, and then when it came time to do my first AG brew, it went pretty good. My efficiency was in the garbage, but nothing unexpected came my way.

So my advice would be to do another extract or two, then move into AG.

Get your process down with extract brewing before going all grain. It will only help you when you do get there, IMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

@max384 I'm pretty sure it was my fermentation. But.. I was trying my first one rushed and after a few beers.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I will give extract a shot before I try AG again

Back