all-grain, using wheat - several questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
I'm planning my first AG brewing (or partial-mash). I would like to brew a wheat beer and I want to use Deathbrewer's method: "easy partial mash brewing". I have LME on hand but no Liquid wheat extract.

#1 Now I would like to know if monitoring the PH is very important when brewing easy AG? Because most tutorial doesn't talk about PH at all.

#2 Can I mash wheat using the easy partial mash method? In the mash I plan to put the wheat malt and the crystal malt only (no base malt.. since I'll use LME).

#3 If I want to convert an All-grain wheat beer to a partial-mash, Can I simply replace the base malt (barley) with LME? And how do I converts grain to LME?

Thanks in advance!

1..... yes it is important, but not totally nesessary for your first few brews or at least until you are ready to improve your beer.

2.... you need base malt unless you are using malted wheat... and even then I would suggest some base malt for the extra enzymes

3... I think 1 pound of base malt will equal 3/4 pound of DME, but I'm not quite sure on that. Someone else will correct me.

Back