All Grain Shiner Bock Clone Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiersteinbrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My father is a huge Shiner Bock fan, but very picky about it. He only likes it out of a keg. I would like to surprise him for his birthday with a keg of Shiner Bock homebrew.

I have not been able to find all grain recipe, I know AHS has an all grain kit. I have brewed the AHS Shiner Bock clone extract kit, and its pretty darn close. I would like to be able to tell him this was not a kit beer.

Here is what i have come up with through hours of research and plugging into BeerSmith.

Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 17.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBUs
ABV 5.4%

3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
2 lbs 11.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Black Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [5.00 %]
1.0 pkg German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833)

From Shiners Website:
IBU 13
SRM 18
ABV 4.4%

I've read they use flaked corn in their grain bill and Brewers Gold for hops.

This will be my 3rd all grain brew, and my 8th brew overall.

Any ideas, questions, comments on building this recipe would be great.

I am trying to go all grain with it, all else fails buy the kit or use the Maltoferm from AHS.

My main question is, how close is this? Secondly, am I going to end up with a strong coffee flavor from the black barley?

BYO has a recipe that's supposed to get you close to Shiner Bock.

3 lbs 6 row pale malt
3 lbs Vienna malt
2.66 lbs corn grits
.66 lbs crystal malt 60L
.75 oz roasted barley
4.62 AAU Brewers Gold hops 60 minutes
(.6 oz of 8% alpha acids)
Irish moss
1/8 tsp yeast nutrient
White Labs WLP940 (4qt starter)

In a large pot, mix corn grits and 5 oz of the 6 row malt with 3.3 qts of 159 F water to make a cereal mash. Hold cereal mash at 148 F for 15 minutes. While cereal mash is resting, pour the rest of the grains into mash tun and mash in to 140 F. Use about 1.66 gallons of water for an initially thick mash. Heat the cereal mash to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for 30 minutes. After boiling, add cereal mash to main mash and adjust temperature with water to 152 F. Mash for 45 minutes, then heat mash to 165 F for mash out. Recirculate wort until clear then begin collecting in brew kettle.
Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at 60 minutes.
Add Irish moss and nutrient at 15 minutes.
Cool to lager pitching temps. (50's preferably)
Aerate well and pitch yeast from starter.
Ferment at 54 for 10-12 days, then let temperature raise to 60 for a diacetyl rest. (About 2 days)
Rack to secondary and cool to 32-40 F.
Lager for 30-45 days.
Shoot for 2.5-2.6 volumes of CO2 when kegging.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks, I will give that a shot. I did find that recipe and that is how I formulated the one I came up with but it didn't have the detailed instructions.

For the corn grits like flaked corn or what you buy for breakfast girts (not the instant kind)?

You have a couple options when it comes to the corn adjunct. Shiner uses the cereal mash process like what's outlined in the instructions above. For this you would use corn grits that you would buy from the grocery store.
Alternately, you can use flaked maize from your LHBS and add it directly to the mash as it needs no special handling. You could also skip the step infusion mash and so a single infusion around 148-151F if you decide to just use flaked maize.
Using flaked maize instead of the cereal mashed corn grits will make a difference in the corn flavor in the final beer. It may be less intense as well.

schiersteinbrewing said:
I'm always up for a challenge. I'll give the cereal mash a shot.

I like your style ;)

I'd give the cereal mash a shot too. Especially if you're trying to get as close to Shiner Bock as possible.

An update, finally had a chance to brew this clone. Over all brew went very well. Had to skip the cereal mash due to time constraints but did use instant grits instead, used the left overs for my breakfast as I was brewing.

3.4 lbs 6 row pale malt
3.4 lbs Vienna malt
3 lbs corn grits
.7 lbs crystal malt 60L
.8 oz black barley
.5oz Brewers Gold hops 9.6% AA 60 minutes
White Labs German Bock Lager WLP833(2l starter)

Its bubbling away at 50deg in the fermenter.......smells wonderful....cant wait to keg this

Damn it I want an update! How'd it turn out??? I don't have the equipment to lager but have bought the clone from Austin homebrew supplies and did it ale style. They use "malto ferm" and don't want to pay the shipping for something so small (my lhbs is rockin and can't rationalize this single order). For the love of Shiner tell share the status!!!

I had a bit of an accident with the table saw and amputated a finger and almost lost another, plus finishing up building my house and moving in, so brewing kind got put on the back burner. However I did finally rack it to the keg and its sitting with the gas connected. I will post pics and taste notes here in the next few days.

Its delicious. Has a nice malty flavor, strong on the oats flavor (need to scale that back a bit) nice suttle hops flavor and aroma. It's a little darker than shiner, flavor is very close, with tweaking it could be a spot on match.

ForumRunner_20130906_165404.jpg

so did you try this one again?
if so how was it the second time and what did you change?
I have a AHS kit coming but wanted to try to get an all grain as close as possible to shiner recipe

Uber late reply but I used that byo recipe and even bumped up the roasted barley to 1.4 ounce and I'm nowhere near the color. Is that recipe right? Even beersmith shows 8.3 SRM. Only bumping because it looks like schierstein is still an active member here.

I know this thread is old but I just put my 'stab-in-the-dark' version of Shiner Bock on tap this weekend. Shiner Bock is popular in my circle of beer-drinkers and I thought it would be nice to have something similar. The key is to be content with something in the spirit of the original since we know we can't duplicate it exactly. Here's what I did:

55% Pilsner
30% Munich 1
10% flaked corn
Approx 3% of a dark UK crystal
Approx 2% of a combination of Carafa Special III and Midnight wheat
20+ IBUs of Northern Brewer added at the start of the boil.
I used Lallemand Diamond for the yeast

I also had some homemade sinamar on hand that I cold-steeped from some MW. When I had collected all of the wort for the boil I poured a glass of Shiner Bock from the bottle and then compared that to my wort. I added a small shot of the homemade sinamar. The trick is to get the beer dark without getting TOO MUCH roasty flavor. It's got to be Carafa Special III, Midnight Wheat or Sinamar or any combination of those. I brewed this beer on 1/25/20 and it lagered for a good 12 weeks. I'm VERY happy with how the beer came out. You really have to restrain yourself on the hops. I could also see 838/2308 working nicely here. A pic...

American-Bock-2020.jpg

I may be crazy. Or stupid. But just an aside, I still have all my fingers 😊 But there are 3 kinds of grits .. Instant, quick, and regular which is basically polenta. Quick grits (5 min grits) can go right in the mash. IME.

Many of the things I found online suggested that the beer was made with some kind of corn and that would not surprise me. It has a light body. I also saw some things from Shiner that said that the beer was all malt. I generally use corn at about 10-15% of the grist and usually no more than that so I went with 10% here. I have always used "flaked corn". I did try masa harina once but ended up with a stuck mash and the resulting beer had some sort of issue... whether it was from the masa harina or other unrelated issue I'm not sure. I feel like anyone who likes the idea of Shiner Bock would like the beer created by this recipe.

Back