All Grain Professionals?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjblwme

Reaction score
So I just started the boil on my first all grain brew.

I am using a cooler system that was given to me used but was never actually used. It was more of a PITA to put together then anything. This is supposed to be a Belgian Wit. Did I screw it up or should I be pretty good?

5.75 Lbs 2 Row
3.3 Lbs White Wheat
8 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz Crystal 10
8 oz Flaked Oats

I “fly sparged”, HLT slow drain to MT as MT drained to kettle. Mash held steady at 151 for the initial hour and bounced a little during sparge (149/157) but I think most of the fluctuation was due to currents and thermometer placement.

Pre-boil gravity was 1.035@126F should be corrected to 1.047 with 7 gal.

I didn’t test PH, water chemistry or iodine. Wort was sweet to the taste and smelled amazing.

i'd drink it....i didn't punch in the recipe, but sounds about right....no adjuncts that need to be boiled...

guessatbeer.jpg

what i got....85% ain't bad for a first batch, and i estimated you're OG low because this thing does it to me...usually 3 points lower.....(and i doubt you're going to add gluco, so ignore the dry finish, lol)

Pre-boil gravity was 1.035@126F should be corrected to 1.047 with 7 gal.

I didn’t test PH, water chemistry or iodine. Wort was sweet to the taste and smelled amazing.

The only thing I might worry about is not doing anything to your water. Did you use tap water? If so, chlorine/chloramine in finished beer is not pleasant.

The only thing I might worry about is not doing anything to your water. Did you use tap water? If so, chlorine/chloramine in finished beer is not pleasant.

I am fortunate enough to have very pleasant water. I know that it does play a part in the final product. But from what I understand, water chemistry is going to get a consistent beer from batch to batch and more closely adhere to stylistic guidelines. I also understand that I will affect the efficiency.

I guess my biggest worry is coming out with something more reminiscent of beer flavored water, then actual beer.

hmmm, for an all-grain batch at close to 7%ABV, i don't think you're going to get water....and if you're worried about being intimidated by InBev, just stroke in the shower before your first pint! or if you're one of the lucky ones with a woman f her brains out! :)

joking aside, it looks like you're good....

islight.jpg

beersmith's prediction for color.....

I am fortunate enough to have very pleasant water. I know that it does play a part in the final product. But from what I understand, water chemistry is going to get a consistent beer from batch to batch and more closely adhere to stylistic guidelines. I also understand that I will affect the efficiency.

I guess my biggest worry is coming out with something more reminiscent of beer flavored water, then actual beer.

Almost all municipal water supplies are treated with chlorine or chloramine, pleasant to drink or not. This can turn into a "bandaid" flavor in the final product. Hopefully your water is good enough that levels are very low and it won't be detectable.

Almost all municipal water supplies are treated with chlorine or chloramine, pleasant to drink or not. This can turn into a "bandaid" flavor in the final product. Hopefully your water is good enough that levels are very low and it won't be detectable.

Does the bandaid only come through on all grain or is it present in extract also?

I have done several batches with my tap water and haven’t had any problems. Then again this is probably the lightest that I have gone so far. Mostly stouts.

I'm not really sure of the science, but it does seem to be more of an issue with all grain beer. You might be fine too, it really depends. I started brewing in a place with great water and very little chlorine. Then I moved to a place with terrible water and tons of chlorine. I was wondering why all my beers were turning out terrible, and came to the obvious conclusion after 2 or 3 batches.

Does the bandaid only come through on all grain or is it present in extract also?

Judging by my early, extract brewing, while on a private water system with unpredictable releases of chloramine, definitely can affect extract brews. I learned about chlorine/chloramine and campden tablets after I had an extract porter with major Band-Aid character, totally out of nowhere. So I'm betting it's not a mash thing but a yeast thing...

Cheers!

[edit] "A much bigger problem with chlorinated tap tap water is that the chlorine will have a bad effect on the flavor of your beer by creating a compound known as TCP (trichlorophenol) during fermentation. This gives the beer an antiseptic, hospital-gauze like flavor."

Key phrase "during fermentation", so it's definitely a yeast thing...

Latest posts

Back