All grain noob help! I'm in process!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerenstein

Reaction score
My strike water was at 160*f, and after stir-in it was only at 140*f, so I boiled another gallon of water and added it. I only gained 2*f, though. Is there a good way to raise it to 152*f, or will it be ok for me to just leave? ??

I re-kettled and got it back up to mash temp. I'm going to let it mash an extra 30 minutes.

Good, there was a short rest in the proteolysis range. You did a type of step mash, 140 to 142 to 152F. Not bad pilgrim, not bad at all. Do another rest for 10 minutes at 158F.

Good, there was a short rest in the proteolysis range. You did a type of step mash, 140 to 142 to 152F. Not bad pilgrim, not bad at all. Do another rest for 10 minutes at 158F.

What's pretolysis good for ? And I do plan on mashing in my kettle for better temperature control, just using my cooler to strain my wort out.

What's pretolysis good for ? And I do plan on mashing in my kettle for better temperature control, just using my cooler to strain my wort out.

My strike water was at 160*f, and after stir-in it was only at 140*f, so I boiled another gallon of water and added it. I only gained 2*f, though. Is there a good way to raise it to 152*f, or will it be ok for me to just leave? ??

What was the outside temp around you? Was your bag of grain at room temp (70-72)?
How do you transfer from your HLT to MLT? Pump or gravity?
Next time have your strike water 14-20° higher if you don't change anything. Otherwise, consider pre-heating your tun w/ 129-150° water before mash in. Heated tuns are great but unless it's jacketed or you can evenly distribute your heat effectively it's very difficult to evenly heat such a large mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"What's pretolysis good for ?"

Beta glucan is reduced during the rest. Glucose is formed and mash viscosity reduces. Beta and alpha are working, as well.

It's not a bad idea to read about the nature of enzymes. While you're at it, read about the step mash or decoction methods.

I use a direct fired mashtun and a seperate lautertun.

Back