All-Grain Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
Okay, I'm a extract/grain brewer, and have been for about 4 years, and I'm ready to make the move to all-grain. But, I don't want to spend tons of cash on a big system. I have been surf'n the net looking at all grain systems, and found one that uses Igloo/Coleman type water coolers converted to mash/lauter tuns, w/ false bottom and Phil's Sparging arm, etc. Has anyone used a similar style set up? I also read a conversion set up to do myself in BYO for an Igloo/Coleman type water cooler kit, but wasn't to sure about taking on that project. I don't care to brew outside and fight Mothra type mesquito's, 100% humidity and 100 degree weather, etc. Are these set ups practical in the kitchen?

Thanks.
DeRoux's Broux

Hmm...I avoid indoor brewing like the plague. Much easier to clean up and all that outside, but to each his own. Are you married? ;)

Anyway, my first all grain setup was a coleman cooler type like you are describing (actually one of those orange Gott coolers). As I have said elsewhere, I never had luck with false bottoms so I just made a loop of tubing and poked holes in it and put that at the bottom of my cooler. I like those Phil's sparge arms though.

The system works pretty well. I even made my first RIMS system with the same cooler. One downside is that over time, the hot mash will start to warp the plastic lining and it will peel away from the cooler. You get a lot of batches out of it before it's garbage, though.

As far as indoor goes, sure I guess. If you have the space and tolerant wives, husbands, roommates and whatnot. You can put the mash tun on the counter and flow down to the kettle on the floor or on a table.

Good luck!

Eh, my wife's down with the brew'n stuff. She just splits for the day! :D

I was concerned on how the coolers would take the heat. I don't brew near as much as it you do, si they should last me a while. Did you build it, or buy it set up? I noticed Northern Brewer has a kit for 5 g ($159) and a kit for high gravity or 10 g batches ($199). I figure I could build it for a little over $100. Did you just heat water and poor it into the mash/lauter tons?

BTW, my Rye Pale Ale has been fermenting like mad! Probably go another two days. You need to try it again. I can e-mail that recipe from Bear Republic too if you want?

DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
Did you build it, or buy it set up? I noticed Northern Brewer has a kit for 5 g ($159) and a kit for high gravity or 10 g batches ($199). I figure I could build it for a little over $100.

I always build my stuff, but I have no idea if it really saves me any cash in the end ;) In this case there's not too much to build...more just assembling the parts. I'd price the parts and then compare to the NB kit...

DeRoux's Broux said:
Did you just heat water and poor it into the mash/lauter tons?

You heat it to about 170 (depending on strike temp desired, etc), and you add the water and grain at the same time, mixing thoroughly. That way the grain is never too hot and is thoroughly wetted down.

DeRoux's Broux said:
BTW, my Rye Pale Ale has been fermenting like mad! Probably go another two days. You need to try it again. I can e-mail that recipe from Bear Republic too if you want?

Hmm...we'll see if I try it again. If I do, and I get a stuck mash, I'm coming after you! ;) You have the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye recipe? Or am I misunderstanding?

DeRoux's Broux said:
Eh, my wife's down with the brew'n stuff. She just splits for the day! :D

I was concerned on how the coolers would take the heat. I don't brew near as much as it you do, si they should last me a while. Did you build it, or buy it set up? I noticed Northern Brewer has a kit for 5 g ($159) and a kit for high gravity or 10 g batches ($199). I figure I could build it for a little over $100. Did you just heat water and poor it into the mash/lauter tons?

DeRoux's Broux

I bought a 15 gallon cooler for about $30 at costco, and the piping / valve, etc... at a local hardware store for about the same price... For $60, it's an effective mash/lauter tun that's good for 10 gallons. You just can't be afraid to make it yourself. Soldering copper pipe is easy (make sure to get lead-free solder), and the rest just snaps together with a little planning...

Janx said:
I always build my stuff, but I have no idea if it really saves me any cash in the end ;) In this case there's not too much to build...more just assembling the parts. I'd price the parts and then compare to the NB kit...

You heat it to about 170 (depending on strike temp desired, etc), and you add the water and grain at the same time, mixing thoroughly. That way the grain is never too hot and is thoroughly wetted down.

Hmm...we'll see if I try it again. If I do, and I get a stuck mash, I'm coming after you! ;) You have the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye recipe? Or am I misunderstanding?

Sounds easy enough. I started pricing coolers and found that the Igloo 10 g runs about $50.00. Probably find one a little cheaper.

Easy now! ;) Do you suscribe to "BrewYour Own" magazine? A few issues back they did 10 most hoppy beer clones article w/ several recipes from the brewers themselves (or some one @ the brewery). They did Saint Arnold's Elissa IPA, Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye & Racer 5, Dogfish Head 90 Min. IPA, Stone's Ruination IPA. Some good ones if you like agressive hoppy beers. I can e-mail it, post it, fax it. Just let me know.

DeRoux's Broux

Uncle Fat said:
I bought a 15 gallon cooler for about $30 at costco, and the piping / valve, etc... at a local hardware store for about the same price... For $60, it's an effective mash/lauter tun that's good for 10 gallons. You just can't be afraid to make it yourself. Soldering copper pipe is easy (make sure to get lead-free solder), and the rest just snaps together with a little planning...

Oops! :D Sorry Uncle Fat, didn't mean to snub ya. I found a real descriptive parts list in an issue of BYO and I may try to do that. Buy a little at a time. I don't have much patience, so this may put me to the test! One reason I force carbonate my brews!!!! :p

DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
Okay, I'm a extract/grain brewer, and have been for about 4 years, and I'm ready to make the move to all-grain. But, I don't want to spend tons of cash on a big system. I have been surf'n the net looking at all grain systems, and found one that uses Igloo/Coleman type water coolers converted to mash/lauter tuns, w/ false bottom and Phil's Sparging arm, etc. Has anyone used a similar style set up? I also read a conversion set up to do myself in BYO for an Igloo/Coleman type water cooler kit, but wasn't to sure about taking on that project. I don't care to brew outside and fight Mothra type mesquito's, 100% humidity and 100 degree weather, etc. Are these set ups practical in the kitchen?

Thanks.
DeRoux's Broux
-------------
I started by spending a couple saturday morning cruising the garage sales. I picked up old cauldrons, plumbing stuff, and assorted hardware and ended up spending more for the 3/4" hole saw than anything.

Made my manifold out'a pvc with holes drilled in it and havent had a stuck sparge yet.

Strike temp was the BIG problem so I urge you to use this as an aid (i found out about it after 3 low mash-temp batches

http://brewery.org/files/Mashcalc.zip

helps calculate strike temps given the grain volume and temp.

Expect the first AG to take twice as long and be twice as messy as an extract mess while your'r learning

FUN!

Yodar

yodar said:
Made my manifold out'a pvc with holes drilled in it and havent had a stuck sparge yet.

Sounds like mine. I would recommend using CPVC, though (the beige stuff) as it is hot water and potable rated...PVC isn't rated to very high heat I don't believe...

Good advice Yodar. I'll see what's in the hood!

Let me make sure I have this right? All ya'l lare doing w/ the PVC (or CPVC) is coiling it up in the bottom of the cooler with holes drilled in it? Doesn't seem like it would flow real well, but you guy's would know best? :confused:

DeRoux's Broux

Not coiled. Mine is like this:

**edit - drawing deleted because it didn't work - I'll post a picture**

Crappy "drawing" I know. So it's 4 elbows, 1 "T" and one cross fitting and then some straight lengths of CPVC. Glue it all together with the appropriate cement and drill holes in the bottom. My outflow valve is threaded and screws right into the inside of my mash tun faucet.

I'll try and take a picture and post it, but you get the idea. It can be a circle or square or whatever, as long as it's a closed system and water can only get in through the holes.

Much better than a false bottom in my experience, but YMMV.

DeRoux's Broux said:
Good advice Yodar. I'll see what's in the hood!

Let me make sure I have this right? All ya'l lare doing w/ the PVC (or CPVC) is coiling it up in the bottom of the cooler with holes drilled in it? Doesn't seem like it would flow real well, but you guy's would know best? :confused:

DeRoux's Broux
I wanted a stainless steel mesh "bazooka" but hadda brew quick and snagged a scrap of cpvc and drilled a lotta holes all on one sae and laid it in the bottom of the Igloo...total length 1 foot

3/8" carrys thru the bulkhead to a balll valve and hose bibb

Flows well

Nextweek i use Mashcalc to start a sonoma pale ale clone

Yodar

Here are some pics that will hopefully give you the idea. The holes are on the underside out of sight.

tun1.jpg
tun2.jpg

tun3.jpg

So, not quite as described. It has that arm that goes up from the center so that you can screw it on and so that it collects from the very bottom of the tun.

As an aside, is it possible to upload pictures directly to this site or do I have to host them elsewhere and reference them?

Pretty cool Janx!

Here's the Hop Rod Rye for all that trouble!

Hop Rod Rye clone(Bear Republic Brewing Co.)
5 gallons/19L, all-grain
OG=1.072 FG=1.017
IBU=84 SRM=17 ABV=7.2%

Ingredients
8.75 lbs. 2-row pale malt
2.5 lbs. rye malt
1.25 lbs. flaked rye
1.15 lbs. Munich malt
0.625 lbs. wheat malt
0.625 lbs. CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. black malt
10.4 AAU Tomahawk hops (60 mins)
(0.74 oz/21 g of 14% Alpha acids)
4.73 AAU Centennial hops (30 mins)
(0.43 oz/12 g of 11% alpha acids)
24.3 AAU Tomahawk hops (0 mins)
(1.7 oz/49 g of 14% alpha acids)
0.75 oz Amarillo hops (dry hop)
1.0 oz Centennial hops (dry hop)
1 tsp Irish moss (15 mins)
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) or White Labs WLP051 (California V)
0.75 cups corn sugar for priming)
Step by Step
Mash in at 145 F then ramp temperature to 152 F for conversion. Mash out to 170 F. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the ingredients list. Whirlpool the wort and let it sit for 15 minutes prior to cooling. Ferment @ 68 F.
Extract Option:
Replace the 2-row pale malt w/ 4.25 lbs. dried malt extract and 1 lb. 2-row pale malt. Steep crushed grains in 2.25 gallons of water at 152 F for 45 minutes.

This was in "Brew Your Own" September 2004 Issue and provided by Richard Norgrove of Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Enjoy!
DeRoux's Broux

Could you help this novice AG brewer by describing the character, taste and color of the brew. The OG is terrifying ! ;>)

DeRoux's Broux said:
Pretty cool Janx!

5 gallons/19L, all-grain
OG=1.072 FG=1.017
IBU=84 SRM=17 ABV=7.2%

Never had the Bear Republic version. I've had a Full Moon Pale Rya Ale. Um, a little sweeter than an IPA, cloudy like a wheat, deep amber color. Good drinking beer. I have one in the primary right now, so I'll get back with ya on it! :D

DeRoux's Broux

yodar said:
Could you help this novice AG brewer by describing the character, taste and color of the brew. The OG is terrifying ! ;>)

It's like a huge, dark, bitter-as-all-get-out IPA type beer. Split a pitcher with a friend if you have nothing else to do today ;)

Lots of malt, a ton of hops. It's really like a darker, maltier, stronger IPA.

And thanks a million for the recipe! I'm definitely making that one.

DeRoux's Broux said:
Pretty cool Janx!

5 gallons/19L, all-grain
OG=1.072 FG=1.017
IBU=84 SRM=17 ABV=7.2%

Ingredients

2.5 lbs. rye malt
1.25 lbs. flaked rye
1.15 lbs. Munich malt
0.625 lbs. wheat malt
0.625 lbs. CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. black malt

Step by Step
Mash in at 145 F then ramp temperature to 152 F for conversion. Mash out to 170 F. Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the ingredients list. Whirlpool the wort and let it sit for 15 minutes prior to cooling. Ferment @ 68 F.

Extract Option:
Replace the 2-row pale malt w/ 4.25 lbs. dried malt extract and 1 lb. 2-row pale malt. Steep crushed grains in 2.25 gallons of water at 152 F for 45 minutes.

This was in "Brew Your Own" September 2004 Issue and provided by Richard Norgrove of Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Enjoy!
DeRoux's Broux

Woohoo! Looky looky what I found! A blast from the past worth seeing again for sure! DeRoux even has the extract option included! Just what I needed. So it's off to the LHBS for me tomorrow..... :ban:

Maestro Brewsmith said:
Finally, someone has learned how to use the "Search" feature around here. :D

"hop rod rye" is a bugger to find though because the search function only accepts four letters or more in each word. In words 3 leters or less, sometimes putting an asterisk after the word can help.

This WAS a good find though. :rockin:

Now if someone can find the pics of Janx's set up, I'll be REALLY impressed. If I'm not mistaken, he had some chickens in one of the pics.

Dude said:
"hop rod rye" is a bugger to find though because the search function only accepts four letters or more in each word. In words 3 leters or less, sometimes putting an asterisk after the word can help.

This WAS a good find though. :rockin:

Now if someone can find the pics of Janx's set up, I'll be REALLY impressed. If I'm not mistaken, he had some chickens in one of the pics.

I was trying to convert the recipe you posted for me to an extract with grain version. The Recipator site didn't have rye malt and some of the hops listed as options, so I was searching Google for an extract version. That way, I wouldn't have to bug you guys to convert the one you posted.

Anyway, Google turned it right up. Use Google and see if you can find them chickens! :D

Well crapola... my LHBS doesn't carry rye malt or flaked rye! The guy says that in the last ten years, only two or three people have wanted it. Then he offers to order me some, and he can't even order rye malt, only the flaked rye. Oh well... Looks like I'll have to order the goods for the recipe online.... :drunk:

I tried to tell him how popular Hop Rod Rye was with some people. I guess it isn't here in Texas...

Just thought I would give this thread a bump...it deserves it! I brewed an slightly modified version of it:

57% 10.5 lbs. American Two-row Pale
19% 3.5 lbs. Rye Malt
8% 1.5 lbs. Rye, Flaked
8% 1.5 lbs. American Munich
4% .75 lbs. American CaraPils
4% .75 lbs. American Wheat

18.5 lbs. total

Batch size: 6.0 gallons

Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Color
8° SRM
Mash Efficiency
75%

hops
use time oz variety
Boil 60 mins 1.25 Tomahawk 14.2%
Boil 30 mins 1.0 Centennial 9.0%
Boil 1 min 1.75 Tomahawk 14.2%
Dry hop 7 days 1.0 Amarillo 8.0%
Dry hop 7 days 1.0 Centennial 9.0%
Boil: 6.5 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
17.8 HBU
92.6 IBU

My OG was a bit higher than the original as was my IBU. I used a nice big starter so I also ended up a bit drier than the calculator indicated. I left out the Black Patent malt which really did lighten it up. Turned it into an Imperial IPA with rye and it was really excellent. If you enjoy and aggressively hopped beer that delivers a punch either of this recipes (or the original!) is great.

Has anyone tried the extract option? Love to hear how it worked out. I am looking to give this a go myself. A question: I am assuming that the extract recipe is a full boil with all extract added at beginning of the boil, since it doesn't specify. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Jason

Older thread but had a question about the OG I calculated and a comment about the Hop Rod Rye recipe I quoted below from this thread.

Pretty cool Janx!

5 gallons/19L, all-grain
OG=1.072 FG=1.017
IBU=84 SRM=17 ABV=7.2%

Ingredients
2.5 lbs. rye malt
1.25 lbs. flaked rye
1.15 lbs. Munich malt
0.625 lbs. wheat malt
0.625 lbs. CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. black malt
Step by Step
Extract Option:

Enjoy!
DeRoux's Broux

I bought the ingredients needed for this recipe at my LHBS yesterday (with the extract option). The only change I made was instead of the 4lbs of DME the person at the LHBS replaced it with 7lb of Light LME.

Today I brewed it. Everything went well, but when I put the hydrometer in to get an OG it only came up as 1.042. Why so low? I was really hoping to get closer to 1.080.

Has anyone tried the extract option? Love to hear how it worked out. I am looking to give this a go myself. A question: I am assuming that the extract recipe is a full boil with all extract added at beginning of the boil, since it doesn't specify. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Jason

The way I was told to do it at the LHBS was to add all the grains and rye to the kettle of cold water (I used about 12 quarts and added the rest post boil) and bring it up to 170 degrees (F). Once the temperature gets to 170 degrees, remove from heat and add all extract (I used LME not DME). Then I put it back on the heat and added the hops and irish moss as indicated for a full 60 minute boil. Once the boil was done I cooled it down to just under 80 degrees, poured it in my fermenter and topped it off with tap water to get a full 5 gallons. Once the temperature hit 70 degrees I pitched the yeast (I used the White Labs California V). Now it is currently fermenting.

I tasted it before pitching the yeast and it tasted great. I am just a little upset that it doesn't look like it is going to be as high in alcohol as I was originally thinking.

Pretty cool Janx!

5 gallons/19L, all-grain
OG=1.072 FG=1.017
IBU=84 SRM=17 ABV=7.2%

Ingredients
2.5 lbs. rye malt
1.25 lbs. flaked rye
1.15 lbs. Munich malt
0.625 lbs. wheat malt
0.625 lbs. CaraPils malt
1.75 oz. black malt
Step by Step
Extract Option:

Enjoy!
DeRoux's Broux

Is that hop schedule correct?? I only get 40 something IBU's out of that. Recipe states IBU=84.

Latest posts

Back