All Grain Brewing Process in 20 Simple Steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forgot but its up now
I opted out of aluminum because I had the money but I agree a great cheap beginner option. Can you go in to prepping the aluminum for brewing (heard from a LHBS one time boil water for 2 hours)
good point

Can someone whose is much more knowledgeable on those two topics go in to your process/methods for both, I can simplify in the original post and then you can make sure it checks out because I would like beginners to know the various sparging methods but I do not want this to become a comparison of which one is better, they can decide that.I will add this I will add an aerator to the list of upgrades. Can you go in to a more basic way for aerating as well?
I use them but that pictorial thread does a better job, I'll throw that link down at the botton, I did add the yeast pitching calculator so beginners refrain from under-pitching

Thank you all for input. This thread has become very productive and it is all thanks to a community effort.

To prepare aluminum for boiling wort, all it needs is an "oxide layer". You don't have to boil for 2 hours- just a few minutes is all it takes. Instead of beautifully shiny inside, it will turn gray-ish and faded.

As far as BIAB/batch sparge/fly sparging, that'd be more difficult to put in 1,2,3 format. Perhaps just put the proper technique for one of them, and give the others as options. If there is a good thread on the options, we could include that link. Otherwise, it could get more confusing than ever, and the whole point of this "simple steps" thread that that you started is to try to help alleviate that! At least, that's in my opinion.

Aluminum will oxidize with the moisture in the air, just not as thick/dark a layer as water will provide.

Leaves our "But it's a dry heat" brothers and sisters in the cold, as it were.

As far as BIAB/batch sparge/fly sparging, that'd be more difficult to put in 1,2,3 format. Perhaps just put the proper technique for one of them, and give the others as options. If there is a good thread on the options, we could include that link. Otherwise, it could get more confusing than ever, and the whole point of this "simple steps" thread that that you started is to try to help alleviate that! At least, that's in my opinion.
Agreed

Hope this doesn't offend...

... but if I were a total noob, this original post (and ensuing thread) would confuse me to the point I'd just want to stick with extract brewing...... particularly had I read it two days ago and then just checked in again to find it wholly different.

My advice? Kill this thread. Start again later.

My .01 (not always worth .02)... :mug:

if I were a total noob, this original post (and ensuing thread) would confuse me to the point I'd just want to stick with extract brewing...... particularly had I read it two days ago and then just checked in again to find it wholly different.
Thanks for your input. If you would like to suggest something that in your opinion is unnecessary to beginners I will happily consider but some deemed the initail(edit) post too basic for success.

I would suggest a step at about 15 mins where you evaluate whether you need to add some clean, dechlorinated water to make up for unexpected evaporation during the boil or boil longer to reach your final boil volume. In any event, the newb should reserve a gallon or two of clean, dechorinated water to add as make up water when needed.

You can retort that this info is calculated using calculators located elsewhere... but when it comes down to a brew day, at that 15 mark, who knows whats going on in the newbs kettle... certainly not the newb.

Thanks for your input. If you would like to suggest something that in your opinion is unnecessary to beginners I will happily consider but some deemed the previous post too basic for success.
Just curious. By "previous post too basic for for success" are you referring to your original post at the top of this thread before the edits?

I would suggest a step at about 15 mins where you evaluate whether you need to add some clean, dechlorinated water to make up for unexpected evaporation during the boil or boil longer to reach your final boil volume. In any event, the newb should reserve a gallon or two of clean, dechorinated water to add as make up water when needed.

You can retort that this info is calculated using calculators located elsewhere...
I agree that the boil temp for beginners is going to be off causing the pct/hr boil to change from the calculated. I wish I could suggest a temp but altitude fights back. I hoped the rolling boil description would help but that depends on how the user interprets it. I can note to ensure the boiling wort is near final boil volume if people agree.
but when it comes down to a brew day, at that 15 mark, who knows whats going on in the newbs kettle... certainly not the newb.
haha true.

It might be helpful to make sure people know that the grains need to be crushed. It's kind of obvious, but we've had some posters on here buy their grains and not crush it, leading to something that is not very beer-like.

It might be helpful to make sure people know that the grains need to be crushed. It's kind of obvious, but we've had some posters on here buy their grains and not crush it, leading to something that is not very beer-like.
Good observation. I will add that and a grain mill to suggested upgrades although my LHBS still mills mine for free close to brew day. I will add about storage too.

I think that part of the reason for some of the tension in this thread is OP's username. When your username contains or alludes to the words "brewing company", people tend to think you're in some way affiliated with a brewery. Generally people who work at breweries have a solid understanding of the brewing process, which OP is clearly still getting a grasp on himself. I'm not attacking. I'm still pretty new to this too. I make mistakes and have a lot to learn - see my thread from yesterday in this forum for a stellar example of that.

I think that part of the reason for some of the tension in this thread is OP's username.
I see that. I am not a brewing company and never claimed to be. My friend made me a sign for my brew room in memory of someone. When I registered, I chose to use it. I put a disclaimer at the bottom of the OP.

Back