ALL grain brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Halter

Reaction score
Reading lots on how to make an AG brew... I understand all the ingredients and processes. But do you Mash in all of your base grains, specialty grains, and flavouring grains and every other grains all in the same mash @ the same time?

I understand that there are some exceptions to the norm. I am going to attempt the Lauder tun with a coleman cooler. Looks pretty easy. So when you brew AG there must be lots of grains down there? And how fast or slow should you go with the flow. I read in my book that your first runnings(sweetest) are not supposed to be restrained back into the lauder tun? But the rest(remainder of mash)should be returned to filter through the grain bed... Well...is that before the sparging process? At the same time? I'm confused could someone please enliten me on just this part please.:confused:

In all most all beers all the grains go in at the begining. The recirclulating of the wort is very important (vorlauf), yes you vorlauf before sparging, the rate should be at about 1 gallon/ 12 min, both vorlauf and sparge. The clearer the wort the better. If you lauter too fast you can create a vacuum and a stuck sparge can result.

You know I was thinking about this very same issue today... what is the difference between mashing with all the grains and adding the specialty grains in a steep? My AGs has been just everything added in the mash....

Back