All Grain: 90 minute boil vs 60 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
I was wondering about everyone's opinions on all grain boiling times. I read that 90 minute boils are required for a good hot break. I'm a little confused though because most all grain recipes around here call for 60 minute boils. My two all grain batches (60 minute boils) are still fermenting so I haven't been able to evaluate them.

Can anyone shed some light on all grain boil times?

Cheers :mug:

The times I have seen 90 min boils recommended for are most Bavarian style wheats, barley wines and other large beers to help drive the volume down, or anything with a large amount of Pilsen malt to drive off DMS.:mug:cheers

I was wondering about everyone's opinions on all grain boiling times. I read that 90 minute boils are required for a good hot break. I'm a little confused though because most all grain recipes around here call for 60 minute boils.

You can get a great hot break with a 60 minute boil.

A 90 minute boil allows you to boil off DMS if you are using a pilsner malt. It gives a corn or veggie flavor to your beer.
I use 90 minute boils because it lets me use that extra half gallon of sparge water to maybe boost my efficiency up a little bit.
I have done lots of 2 row malt, 60 minute boil beers and havn't had any issues with a shorter boil.

A 90 minute boil allows you to boil off DMS if you are using a pilsner malt. It gives a corn or veggie flavor to your beer.
I use 90 minute boils because it lets me use that extra half gallon of sparge water to maybe boost my efficiency up a little bit.
I have done lots of 2 row malt, 60 minute boil beers and havn't had any issues with a shorter boil.

Thanks! I've been using 2 row and vienna for my base malt and then about 10% light caramel and carapils to round out my grain bill so it sounds like I should be good.

A good hot break is more dependent on proper wort ph rather than boil length. There is some truth that a longer boil will give a better break in that as the wort gets more concentrated the ph can fall into the proper range, but this isn't always the case.

Back