All Azacca Base Malt APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Hey brewers, I have been searching for info on Azacca hops for a month or so. There is little to go on, as these hops are new. So in the name of research and development, I am brewing this as a single hop pale ale using a base malt blend that has been working very well for me and other guys I brew with.

If you are not aware of Azacca, here is the info I have:

Alpha Acid 9.9%

Dual Purpose with a tropical, citrus, pineapple, grapefruit aroma
with a hint of lemon.

Typical Brewing Style: Pale Ale

Possible Substitutes: Centennials

I will post results in about 2 weeks.

Azacca APA
10-A American Pale Ale
Author: Tim
Date: 4/2/15

Size: 11.5 gal
Efficiency: 84.0%
Attenuation: 76.0%
Calories: 164.53 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 7.3 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 4.94% (4.5% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 32.0 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10 lb 2-Row Malt
6.0 lb Vienna
4.0 lb Munich American
1.0 oz Azacca (9.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Azacca (9.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2.0 oz Azacca (9.9%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2.0 oz Azacca (9.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter
0.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Awesome. I was just thinking about trying some Azacca in my next American Wheat. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

OK brewers, so here are the preliminary findings in the Azacca trial:

The beer is young, just about 3 weeks so this report will be updated in the future as the beer reaches its peak.

1. The aroma is as described in the literature. I get some tropical fruits, a bit of citrus and a hint of dank. I like it. It is unique which I think is a good thing. I did 3 oz dry hops in a 10 gal batch for 10 days- the post above has it at 2 oz.

2. I hopped this beer to 32 IBU (Rager) and it seems at least that bitter, if not more so. The bitterness is very smooth and not at all harsh.

3. The flavor is nice, and plays well with the malt bill. I would say I get some melon, pinapple and pine or lemon? I am no BJCP judge, but I like to think that I have a decent palate.

Current feeling about Azacca? It has a place in the ever growing selection of hops. Like other brewers have stated, it works as a single hop - I am happy to have two corny kegs of this beer to start summer. However I think it will be (like most hops) best used with other NW hops to lend its unique character. If it stays at $8.50/LB from HopsDirect next year I will certainly buy another pound.

I really like Azacca. I made a Pilsner / Azacca SMaSH pale ale that turned out awesome, it's a really nice hop.

Back