All American Stout (all grain recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Trying my hand at an American Stout. Came up with the thoroughly original name, "All-American Stout," :p.

That aside, haven't done the style before; looking for any and all recommendations. Brewing this evening (Sunday, 4/5), so any suggested changes should come before then.

FYI, the special grains (with the exception of the flaked oats and chocolate) are all bagged together, so I won't be able to tweak them.

The following are estimates, based upon 75% mash efficiency, 74% attenuation. 4oz 43ppg DME factored in for the starter.

Style: American Stout
Size: 5.25 gallons
Mash Temp: 154*F
Color: ~37 SRM
Bitterness: ~50 IBU
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.2%

9 lbs Maris Otter
8 oz CaraPils
8 oz Crystal 90L
8 oz British Chocolate
8 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Golden Naked Oats
8 oz Flaked Oats

AA = 7.5% Palisade, 5.5% Cascade

1 oz Palisade @ 60
1 oz Palisade @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Palisade @ 5

Yeast = Wyeast American Ale II

Wyeast said:
With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. Fruitier and more flocculent than Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast, slightly nutty, soft, clean with a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with intense fruitiness, or ferment cool for clean, light citrus character. Expect good attenuation, but this will vary with grist makeup, mashing protocol, or other wort characteristics. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

I guess this one passes muster, then? Either way, I'm about to fire up the grain mill, etc. American Stout, here I come!

my friends and I ended up brewing this. it turned out great

the brewshop didn't have any Golden Naked Oats though, so we just subbed in some more crystal. and we also ended up using Wyeast's London III instead

Back