AliExpress - any experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I have no idea where to post this but since I’m looking at buying items for my automated build this seemed like a good place. I’ve seen people reference using AliExpress lately and I’ve been browsing and it seems like a really cool resources for sourcing electronics and stuff in general. I’d like to hear from you folks regarding your experiences.

I’ve bought some knock-off jerseys on there and have never had an issue. Haven’t ordered in about 6-8 months but would have no qualms in doing so again.

Purchased a SS wort strainer and wanted a different sized mesh than what came with it. Emailed the vendor and they came back with 2 other sizes available, and they would include at no charge just in case I needed a variety.
My experience with AliExpress was positive, excellent quality, very reasonable price , but mostly quick communication.

the one time i had an issue was buying some stainless pieces that showed up looking scuffed up and dinged. could it have happened during shipping? possibly. instead of going through the hassle of trying to ship it back, i was able to take a discount on the price, the seller accepted and that was that.

never had any other issues with purchases there. other than the lag in shipping.

I've ordered a lot and never had a negative experience. Aliexpress holds back the sellers money until you confirm that the goods have arrived in good condition. But be patient, delivery may take 6-7 weeks but 80-90% of the shipments arrives within ~3 weeks.

Wow, small sample group but all very positive experiences. I'm in...of to set up an account

It's really good for electronic components, cables, connectors, stainless fittings, stc-1000s etc. Anything heavy like a keg and the shipping becomes prohibitive. Things like phones are usually knockoffs and often have fake ram and SD storage. Anything with a battery, the battery is usually crap quality and actual mah rating is way less than what it says.
Overall I buy a lot of stuff and most of it is great for what you pay. Have had some issues, but the sellers will usually refund you or send a replacement if stuff is broken.

Just make sure you read the reviews, and read all in the description (don't just look at the photos). Some items photos will mislead you. Send message to Seller if you're unsure. It's a good site, but like all sites, has good and bad apples. Just shop around.

Update - I bought a couple things for my new build and had no issues at all. Took a few weeks to get but saved some $$ and am not in any big hurry. Definitely will buy from AliExpress again.

Over the last year I have had very poor luck buying stuff off Amazon that came direct from China. It's a real pain to wait 60 days for your stuff to never show up and having to start the waiting game all over again. I got my money back Every time but I've had to file an A to Z claim over 6 times in one year.

Anyway I have been buying off alliexpress lately as an alternative and had only good experiences so far.

I've used Aexpress a few times. So far no problems at all. Typically slow shipping, but it's expected. I'd recommend trying to find a vendor with the highest rating, even if you spend a few bucks. Typically they contact you right when you order your item. and seem to be helpful. There is a language barrier at times. but you can understand enough to get the job done.

I've ordered most of my stainless parts and all my electric valves for my brewhouse from AliExpress.

If you order with the standard shipping things can take some time - 4 to 5 weeks - before arriving in Norway.
But I've started to use AliExpress Premium shipping that doesn't cost so much extra and then the delivery is in 1-2 weeks.

But the quality of the parts are very good.

I put my first order in this week. I think Tuesday. Received an email saying my stuff has shipped. Shipping should be 50-60 days but it was 1/6 the price of stuff off Amazon. It won’t be here in two days but I don’t have an urgent need for what I ordered. I got most of it from one vendor which might have helped getting everything sent out.

fwiw, I have received items from both AliExpress and eBay China in anywhere from 3 days to 30 days, but most typically two weeks.
I've had sellers sending me messages that the item is still on the way when I'd already received it a week or more earlier...

Cheers!

I agree with above statements. Electronics like phones are usually knock-offs, but at least stated "High qulity copy" when I asked.

Do Not rely on the photo alone, read the descriptions and ask if you are unsure. Do not assume anything.

Ive had good luck with both aliexpress and thier wholesale supplier site alibaba. many homebrewing vendors are ordering the products we buy for our homebrewing systems from there (usually rebranded to thier own house brand) things like the cereal killer mill which is sold as all sorts of different brand mills by everyone from kegking to Inbev (northern brewers hullwrecker is the same generic aliexress mill as the cereal killer)

Bought my heating elements and even 3bbl kettles on alibaba and saved about 8 grand all together vs buying the very same stuff through a different us distributor.

Common sense is needed and looking as reviews doesnt hurt. I found sometimes the stuff does vary from lot to lot of vendor to vendor as it did when I bought like 14 different stainless perlick style faucets from 3 different vendors. the shanks werent all stainless from some suppliers even though they were advertised as such. still they taps work well and the price was very reasonable.

Bought my kettle off Ali. 20 gallon with clad bottom. Same as SS Brewtech/Spike. Shipping took three weeks but it was cheaper than their cheapest 10 gallon. Package came in with a small dent at the bottom from transit. Seller gave me back a few bucks for the hassle. Total cost with shipping and after refunded amount was under $100. I’m happy.

I had my first bad experience recently. I ordered 2 sampling valves last week. The seller contacted me yesterday saying that the o-rings were broken on all of the units and therefore they cannot ship my order. The seller offered no resolution or timeframe when they could ship the product out. I canceled my order and the closest reason I had to choose from was "product not in stock".

I got a message from the seller last night asking me to change my cancellation reason to "I don't want anymore". I responded and said that is not true, I still want the order but you said you do not have it in stock.

Anyways the seller sent me a couple more messages bad mouthing me and telling me I am blacklisted. Very unprofessional for trying to make me accountable for their mistake/problem.

There's probably half a dozen other vendors selling the same stuff he does so it's really his loss. I would still report them to Ali anyway.

Yup already placed another order with someone else, just silly how they think I should lie for them.
Ive started to run into this on ebay as well.. That and they send random junk trinkets with the order tracking number tracking them instead of what I ordered which comes much later... im sure they do this to cheat the system and mislead with their posted estimated delivery times.

I got a junk grain mill and the customer kept wanting me to keep at a discounted price telling me to take to a machinest and have a new end plate made since they used 2 of the same side of endplate when assembling mine.. they wouldnt even pay for return shipping in the end which shows how valuable it was to them. kept trying to get me to pay for it.

Regarding the OP, it depends on what you're buying. For instance, if you were to buy a Nordic nRF52L01+ on Aliexpress, you will most likely receive a counterfeit. It will look like a Nordic and have the Nordic markings, but it won't be a Nordic, and it may not play the same. Likewise, if you were to buy a branded CR2032 coincell battery on Aliexpress, you will most likely receive a fake that won't last as long as the real thing.

On the other hand, if you want to buy atmega328p chips at $1 apiece on Aliexpress, it's probably the real deal and a really good price to boot. At least that's been my experience.

Almost all supercapacitors sold on Aliexpress are total junk. They aren't counterfeits. They're simply garbage that don't perform anywhere near the advertised specs. Oh, and datasheets? You probably won't find any.

Last edited:
Back