Ale Pails Vs. Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCSF336

Reaction score
Im having trouble with my 2 gallon ale pail leaking CO2 on me- is this something to worry about or should I start thinking about investing on a glass or plastic carboy with a tight fitting bung?

Thanks for any suggestions/comments and may the beer lords bless your brew :rockin:

"leaking" CO2? Not sure what the issue is. You need some of the CO2 to escape otherwise the pressure buildup would not be an enjoyable experience for you.

Just get a new lid for like $3. Then spend the money you would spend on a carboy on more beer ingredients.

Edit: Did I just read 2 gallon ale pail?!? Haven't seen one of them before.

technically not an Ale Pail brand pail, but I figured that would be easily identifiable by everyone- its a food grade 2 gallon pail with a snap-on lid with o-ring- the problem is that I cant get the lid to seal. I have a three-piece airlock in place but no bubbles and I'm certain its because of a leak. Any suggestions on how to deal with it while Im waiting for the new lid?

Yeah, let it be. I have a 12 gallon garbage pail (for lack of a better term) that doesn't seal. Lid just sits on top. You don't need an airtight seal in primary. The off gassing will help protect your brew along with the cover you're already using.

He probably means his airlock is not bubbling, which really doesn't matter. Just like mentioned in here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/carboy-caps-not-air-tight-what-131116/?highlight=airtight

Neither are some bucket lids, or stoppers in carboys, or the gasket where the airlock goes into...that's why many airlocks don't bubble...But the good news is things don't need to be air tight. In fact that's what an airlock is for to void built up pressure so you don't paint your ceiling with your beer.

See, the thing is fermentation makes co2...which pushes outward, and if co2 is getting out, then nothing else is getting in...including air.

The only time we really need something airtight (actually co2 tight) is in the bottle or the keg....because that is how our beer get carbonated, the co2 cannot escape so it permeates the beer instead.

If you look around you will see that a lot of brewers don't use airclocks, or lids, or stoppers at all, some use tinfoil instead or even place a piece of plexiglass on top of their buckets instead of the airtight lid...any co2 that needs to get out, will....and the positive pressure from the co2, keeps anything else from getting in.

Airlock bubbling, lack of airlock bubbling, stopped airlock bubbling, fast airlock bubbling, slow airlock bubbling, heavy metal airlock bubbling, or disco airlock bubbling really is not an indicator of what is happening to your beer. It is NOT a fermentation gauge, it is a valve to release excess pressure, excess CO2...NOT AN ACCURATE INSTRUMENT....

Your Hydrometer is the only gauge of fermentaion you should use.

It's a valve to release co2...and like I said, if co2 is getting out, nothing bad is coming in.

Yeah, let it be. I have a 12 gallon garbage pail (for lack of a better term) that doesn't seal. Lid just sits on top. You don't need an airtight seal in primary. The off gassing will help protect your brew along with the cover you're already using.

perfect reply here. primary doesn't have to be airtight. the lid will keep stuff out, and its venting CO2. that's what you want in primary.

secondary, however, you won't wanna do here. potential for oxidation.

Thanks to everyone for your info- Ill be getting ahold of a nice airtight container for my secondary fermenter to get some extra flavor out of my beer and in the meantime just enjoy the subtle ginger scent in the air.

Im making two batches simultaneously, one which is only 3 quarts being brewed in a 1 gallon water jug and the other batch of beer in the 2 gallon pail which is 1 3/4 gallons.

Back