"Ale Pail" lid woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
El Hubbo was kind enough to purchase me another fermentation bucket, one that has "Ale Pail" written on it, but it has a different lid on it than my other ones. My other buckets have a thicker lip over the seal and I have a handy plastic opener that works like a charm.

This new "Ale Pail", though, has a thin lip that defies my little plastic opener/wrench. I tried a few tools and ended up bending the **** out of part of the lid with a screwdriver.

Anybody got a better way? thx

Happy brewing!

I have a couple that are really tough. What works great is to put your knee into it- literally. Lean over the ale pail, stick your knee hard in the middle, and then "peel" the lid up towards you on the far side. I hope that makes sense. If not let me know, and I'll try to 'splain with photos.

Anyway, for some reason, the pressure in the middle seems to allow you to easily peel it up with your fingers. I've done this ON the island in the kitchen, as it's the only way I can get some of those lids off, and I've climbed up on our island (we have an old house with very high ceilings) and done that standing up on the island right before racking. Weird, but effective!

I have a couple that are really tough. What works great is to put your knee into it- literally. Lean over the ale pail, stick your knee hard in the middle, and then "peel" the lid up towards you on the far side. I hope that makes sense. If not let me know, and I'll try to 'splain with photos.

Anyway, for some reason, the pressure in the middle seems to allow you to easily peel it up with your fingers. I've done this ON the island in the kitchen, as it's the only way I can get some of those lids off, and I've climbed up on our island (we have an old house with very high ceilings) and done that standing up on the island right before racking. Weird, but effective!

I think I can picture that in my head. Makes sense now that I think about it! I'll be giving it a shot for sure.

As for the Drain Inductor Tank, I don't think I have room for that. I tend toward multiple small batches. But a neat idea maybe for the future. Thanks!

I could see a knee in the middle, or just back from the middle from where you're trying to open, working. Or pull the bucket in against your chest/ribs. Work your hands around the lid as you lift (peel) the lid up. Maybe wear gloves.

Or maybe, and I've not done this with a bucket lid, but it works to soften up hard rubber wheels to get them on metal rims, a heat gun or strong hair dryer. Pass it along the edge of the lid to soften it up some. Make it more pliable.

Back