Ale of a Showdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedvalton

Reaction score
hello everyone. some of you know me thru trades and MAW. i am starting a small friendly competiotion. it will be round robin/tournament style. please check out my page if interested. hope to see your homebrews win soon.

p.s. sorry admin if this is out of the rules. i tried to check

http://aleofashowdown.wordpress.com

OG on the site should read around 1.080 with an effiencey in the low 70s
Close to a pound of hops! wowzers and i thought i loved hops!!

Should be a nice brew to get a couple free bottles of to compare to your own.

What credentials do you have to make a competiion? Are you the only judge?

Something where you set up a "buddy" system and have people swap brews to score and you keep track of the bracket would get a lot more traffic IMO. I would also use some less "rare" hops in your recipes to try and "invite" people in.
8oz of simcoe and 5oz of citra is $20 in hops alone for some people not buying bulk!

OG on the site should read around 1.080 with an effiencey in the low 70s
Close to a pound of hops! wowzers and i thought i loved hops!!

Should be a nice brew to get a couple free bottles of to compare to your own.

What credentials do you have to make a competiion? Are you the only judge?

Something where you set up a "buddy" system and have people swap brews to score and you keep track of the bracket would get a lot more traffic IMO. I would also use some less "rare" hops in your recipes to try and "invite" people in.
8oz of simcoe and 5oz of citra is $20 in hops alone for some people not buying bulk!

My efficiency was off due to a boil over. Got busy moving furniture. As far as credentials I have a wall of medals from competitions I have been in as well as judging some comps. This recipe is bone I brew so its not designed to use "less rare" hops it is designed for my consumption and pleasure. I know several people that wanted to know some of my recipes and this was a way to share them.

Also its not a "who can brew the best clone" contest. It can be any style of your choosing. All 4 can be the same batch or 4 different styles however you choose

That would be under rules section. Post 1 is a welcome with a quick overview (I.e. round robin, lowest score goes home, 4 competitors). Should I include all the details in that post?

I will be filling out bjcp score sheets and the lowest score each week is eliminated until only 1 is left. That person will receive prizes which will vary. As of grows so will the prizes. Hops, new faucets, who knows maybe kegs will be included. Each person will get copies of their score sheet. Its a different type of competition. Its beer against beer not style against same style. There may be a quad vs IPA vs pale ale vs saison one week. That's up to what people send. I have a stock pile of hops and other goodies and figured its a good way to clear out and also provide feedback to fellow brewers in the process

So, if this does get up and running, and say 32 people "enter", then each entrant will be required to send you 32 beers (or 1 for each "entry") since only one is eliminated per round?

Also, a round robin would mean that each person competed individually against each other person, not a single elimination tournament.

Sorry incorrect terminology. Its "single elimination"
as it grows a higher number would go home weekly. It won't be more than 4 beers. Thanks form pointing out the number it should currently be send 3. With 4 people there will be 3 rounds. I am editing. Its a work in progress. As with all comps you learn tricks and hints as you go

Alright I put a better description on the welcome page. Sorry for the lack of detail. I am new to blogging. I know my beer (drinking, making, judging) all that stuff. When it comes to creating a blog its beginnings for me. Any help from my fellow brewers is greatly appreciated. Hopefully this first season will be under way shortly. I know everybody thinks their beer is "the best" or knows someone who's is, now its time to prove it. :)

It sounds like he is planning to judge them all. And is not bjcp certified.

Ned, I think you are going to find it tough to sell this idea. I think most people would rather pay $6 extra and send it in to a bjcp certified competition.

Back