Alcohol-y finish.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xSpeaker

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I know (because I've searched already) that an alcohol-y taste is usually due to not having conditioned enough. However, I have a lovely liter of a bastardized version of Water into Barleywine (still tasty!) in my belly, I'm posting this anyways.

Preamble: xSpeaker made cider. Recipe:
-5.5 gallons store bought generic apple juice. (the checkout lady looked at me like I was a crazy person, buying 11 half-gallons of apple juice/cider)
-5lb bag of white table sugar, turned into invert sugar/simple syrup / whatever with a bunch of cloves and cinnamon sticks
-1.5 canisters of frozen pineapple juice concentrate
-1 cotes du blanc dry yeast pack

Add all things to carboy. wait. It's been about 6 weeks since fermentation began. (no plans to rack to secondary, champagne yeast doesn't make much trub.)

OG: 1080
Current Gravity: .994 (yes, going below 1 makes me feel like a bamf.)

Firstly: this is delicious. it still has some sweetness. HOWEVER. It has an alcoholic-y finish. Similar to something like Malibu (or grand marnier, depending on the classiness of the reader), where you'll take a sip and say "Hey! this is tasty ...oh, and this ending part tastes like alcohol!"

And now, to the question. If I wait longer will that alcohol finish go away?

tl;dr: My hard cider has an alcoholic aftertaste. If I condition it longer will that mellow out?

Thanks.

I have a similar lightly hopped apple cider bastard beer/graff. It is usually right around 1.090 OG. At the end of a 3 week primary it tastes like cheap vodka. At the end of the 2 month bright tank/aging, it tastes freakin' awesome with NO hint of an alcohol aftertaste.

Back