Alcohol or Good Tasting Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think to ask why we brew beer is just kinda a dumb question: We brew to drink what we like.

Now some might like low ABV some might like high. ABV does change flavor and perception. If I drink 5 pints of a 10% beer my perception of that beer is going to drastically change over the course of the 5 pints.

I think there are 3 types of homebrewers
type 1: those that want to make beer just so they say they make beer (to impress friends, but then go and make BMC clones) and then go and drink a 30 rack like its nothing
type 2: The people who do it as a segway to making other beverages that are not legal to make at home
type 3: they enjoyed craft beers and wanted to make something that matched their taste (plus they might have been cheap bastards and didn't want to shell out $10 for a 6 pack)

I think here on HBT we are all type 3s. ABV has a large part of taste and feel (sorry) non-alcoholic beer and wine is nasty! But we do it because in the end it is a taste that is appealing (if there are other effects so be it)

anything imperial is different than its lesser counterpart - its a different taste and feel. I had a RIS last month that was based off of another smaller stout recipe - very balanced however different.

Please excuse me "Dr Malt" if I do not understand the intent of your post. Your 20 yrs. and 7 yrs. homebrewer really doesn't cut much ice here. People on HBT are interested in improving their techniques. Efficiency, malt profile, style compatability. If these criteria are accomplished, flavour follows. Personally, I think you're off base.

I must have missed where they said we couldn't ask questions on this forum.

Double plus ungood?

I brew for taste first by a mile. Nothing is better than someone praising your product. That said, I tend to favor higher gravity beers. I love IPA's, IIPA's, barley wines, Imperial Stouts, RIS, etc. And that love is more about the massive flavor than anything else, the abv is just a perk. Comparatively like having a huge steak stuffed with bacon, bleu cheese and mushrooms, instead of a chicken breast. Again though, I usually have only one big beer laying around, while the others are more in the 5-7% range (I love IPA's what can I say?).

Back