Alcohol content question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1852

Reaction score
I am brewing my third batch, and out of curiosity I was wondering what my alcohol content would be. I ran through the calculations of a SG 1.040 and FG of 1.008 ... I come up with 4.3%. Is that a normal range for a draught?:confused:

Also, after I bottle (and use priming sugar) will the alcohol content change much?

rich1852 said:
Is that a normal range for a draught?:confused:
Draught? The method of storage/dispensing doesnt effect the abv. How it is brewe3d effects the abv. You need more fermentables for more alcohol. Its probably right where it should be.
cheers

Draught beers usually are on the lighter side when it comes to alcohol. Most draught houses would brew their beer to be enjoyed socially. Also, when you're selling 3.5% beer you can sell more to the people looking to get hammered ;)

The standard ABV is dependent on the the style. Your ABV would be right for an English style Pale Ale. Bitters are usually between 3.5% - 4% and ESB is around 4% - 4.5%. American styles usually up the ABV from between 4.5% to >6%.

You can find the style guidelines at http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.html.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Draught? The method of storage/dispensing doesnt effect the abv. How it is brewe3d effects the abv. You need more fermentables for more alcohol. Its probably right where it should be.
cheers

I am brewing the Australian Coopers Draught

adx said:
Draught beers usually are on the lighter side when it comes to alcohol. Most draught houses would brew their beer to be enjoyed socially. Also, when you're selling 3.5% beer you can sell more to the people looking to get hammered ;)

The standard ABV is dependent on the the style. Your ABV would be right for an English style Pale Ale. Bitters are usually between 3.5% - 4% and ESB is around 4% - 4.5%. American styles usually up the ABV from between 4.5% to >6%.

You can find the style guidelines at http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.html.

I may be a little closer to 4.0% as my hydrometer was hard to determine if it was 1.006 or 1.008.

Rick_R said:
ABV/ABW: ABV Calculator
First one that was listed when I googled; probably lots more. As to draught, to me that's a serving/storing method as opposed to a beer style but that could just be my Americanistic view.

Rick
Yeah, I know about that one too.

I have mine printed out and in a document protector and is the first page in my binder...:D No need to turn the computer on...:D

Back