Alcohol Boost Off Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
For my last 2 brews Ive used the AHS +1 Alcohol Boost and was wondering if anyone else has experience with this. It definitely worked as far as boosting the alcohol goes (my last IPA came out to 7.6%!), but I keep detecting a small offtaste with it. My IPA has been in the bottle for nearly a month and a half now so there is a possibility that its still a tad green. But I was wondering if anyone else has used these boosts and has had a problem with off flavoring??

Ryan

what kind of beer are you tasting the off flavors in? and how old? ive used the boost before and havent noticed any off flavors maybe its still green.

I have always avoided boosting the alcohol with adjuncts like the ones AHS offers with their kits. They list it as two just plain old sugars mixed together to provide fermentables, but no flavors. Of course that is going to thin the beer out flavor wise....its the equivalent of you adding table sugar into the wort. The yeast will ferment it out for more alcohol without adding flavor

I used the AHS alcohol boost for one of my very first brews when I was starting out. You have to be careful with the fermentation temperature especially when feeding yeast that stuff, or else it'll make hot alcohols like none other (as I found out).

Yeah, I did that a few times with my first brews (more alc means more fun) but there was tandem of off flavors and people going to bed quickly. I have done my last eight without and believe me, people know they are drinking beer, and my taste has improved. I have about five packs of boost in my bag.

~Diz

I have used it for two of my beers and I haven't noticed any off flavors, besides the presence of more alcohol. However, the body of the beer does suffer a bit. I'm not using it again I don't think. If I want to brew a beer with more alcohol, I'll just tweak my recipe.

I have used it and will continue to do so. I haven't noticed any off-flavors that would be attributed to the boost aside from the higher alcohol (which is the point).

If you're curious why don't you brew a batch and split into 2: add the boost in 1 and continue as normal in the other. Bottle both and taste the difference?

Because for extract brewing or just sheer ease you can use the booster w/o altering the flavor. Malt will impart a more malty taste on the beer of course. I have never had any off flavors when using the booster?

BTW Wtf is hot alcohols mentioned above in relation to using Brewvent at warm temperatures? Do you mean alcohols other than ethanol? Or the volatility of increased amount of ethanol in solution?

It means a more obvious alcohol warming sensation when you drink. It tastes 'hot' and sort of burning.

Because for extract brewing or just sheer ease you can use the booster w/o altering the flavor. Malt will impart a more malty taste on the beer of course. I have never had any off flavors when using the booster?

BTW Wtf is hot alcohols mentioned above in relation to using Brewvent at warm temperatures? Do you mean alcohols other than ethanol? Or the volatility of increased amount of ethanol in solution?

I doubt its methanol, but the taste of the alcohol just becomes much more prevalent. It's acceptable in a few various heavier styles, but I had a dunkel once that just tasted too much like someone poured hard liquor into it.

Oh Thanks, didn't know. I want that feeling in most of my brews, so that's my take on it. I haven't noticed off flavors, but yeah you do get the alcohol rising off of your tongue with it, but only as much as the 1% takes you over the edge of 6% - > higher % I think. Just my personal tastes though.

Well, FWIW my technique for boosting gravity (and I am doing partial mash...previously extract/specialty grains) always was to just add more DME. I don't think I've ever created a beer that was *too* malty.

Re: your other question...I think this was referencing the formation of fusel alcohols (longer chain alcohols) that form at higher fermentation temperatures, and with yeast that is stressed out. They tend to cause a solvent-like off flavor, and can contribute to that "hot" alcohol sensation. Not that you can't get that from ethanol too, but the fusels can create it in beers with ABV's that normally wouldn't feel hot.

biochemedic said:
well, fwiw my technique for boosting gravity (and i am doing partial mash...previously extract/specialty grains) always was to just add more dme. I don't think i've ever created a beer that was *too* malty.

Re: Your other question...i think this was referencing the formation of fusel alcohols (longer chain alcohols) that form at higher fermentation temperatures, and with yeast that is stressed out. They tend to cause a solvent-like off flavor, and can contribute to that "hot" alcohol sensation. Not that you can't get that from ethanol too, but the fusels can create it in beers with abv's that normally wouldn't feel hot.
+1

low likelyhood that your off flavor is coming from a simple sugar addition like sucrose or dextrose. more likely it's coming from a fermentation issue, like temperature of fermentation, pitching rate, aeration.

I am assuming you're adding the simple sugar to the boil at the same time as your extract, and not just throwing the sugar into the fermentor. coz that would = infection, and that certainly would introduce off flavors.

Back