Alcohol after tastes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfore

Reaction score
I BIAB and it seems like a lot of my brews have an "alcohol" after taste. I experiment with lagers, ales, wheats, and hefeweizens. Is this actually alcohol or something else? Here's my method: Mash grains in grain bag for 60 min, place bag in colander and pour 170* water over grains until my desired volume is achieved which is 3.75gal for my usual 3gal batch. I then bring to boil and add hops. Boil for 60 min. then add wort chiller for final 5min to sanitize. Cool wort to 80 degrees then pour into bucket and add safale dry yeast. Ferment for 5-7 days, check FG and if it's ok, bottle or rack to secondary if lagering. Usually make my grain bill out to a starting gravity of 1.045-50. Like to use a mix of any of the following spices in boil: vanilla, grains of paridice, sweet orange peel, lemon peel, and coriander.

Thanks,
Todd

Well... if you're pitching at 80° and not dropping to below ~65° or so before initial fermentation kicks off, there's your problem (this applies to ale yeast, lagers need to be fermented lower yet).

Fermenting too hot is my answer for now.

I agree that fermentation temps (as well as a number of other likely causes from your description of your basic technique) is the cause of the hot alcohol flavor. Some high gravity beers can have this while they are young and just need to age out. But I am nearly certain this isnt your case

I would revisit your basic techniques. Taking gravity readings as early as 5 days, for instance, is just asking for issues. Bottling at 7 is even worse

Try chilling a batch to 60 degrees before pitching the yeast and then keep the beer below 65 degrees for the first 4 days. When the batch is done, sample and give us a report back. I suspect that will cure the problem.

Agreed with all above.

Fwiw I would advise managing appropriate fermentation temps at all times. Dry yeast should be dehydrated correctly as per manufacturers guidelines. Chilling to 80 and pitching dry yeast directly then fermenting in ambient room temp means your fermentation temp was probably 76+ for the first couple days. Not ideal.

Alright. I will make sure to lower my temps. and see what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Todd

The only other thing I could think of is that you are getting better efficiency - meaning you crush your grain to dust and your OG is higher then anticipated?

I usually take a sample after the boil and I am doing a 20min. whirlpool. If it's high, I add some water till it is where I wanted it. Never more than a half gallon. I don't crush my own but when I get down to the bottom of the bags of grains, I do get better efficiencies.

Thanks,
Todd

Back