Alarm-Style Digital Thermometer Probe Engineering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typebrad

Reaction score
So, sticking to the Thermoworks brand (of Thermapen fame), I invested in a nice alarm-style thermometer with a 6" fully immersible probe on a 10 ft. chord. I'm looking forward to seeing an accurate mash temp without opening lid on kettle.

Question ... I want the probe (which is quite heavy considering its size) to hang from the center of my lid into the mash so it's not too close to the bottom, or sides of kettle.

Anyone have an ingenious hack/mod I could use to dangle my probe in the hot wort (sorry, couldn't help it) without damaging it, or without tying a knot or loop in the chord?

My first thought was drilling a hole center of lid and mounting an alligator clip there, but must avoid any materials that may break down over time/collect funk (i.e. cheap plastics, 3M tape, etc).

Any input would be most appreciated!

/Will always still be figuring it out/

If you are okay cutting a hole in your lid, I can think of a couple options...

If it is a small hole, you could use a clothespin or binder clip to grab the cord at a spot you have determined to place the probe in the center of your mash.

If it is a larger hole, maybe get a rubber bung and run the cord through the bung hole (ok that "sounds" weird, but I didn't name those things). You could use many things to clamp the cord in the hole.

I think my point is, there could be many ways to solve this issue.

I have a similar thermometer, although not thermoworks I have calibrated it.

The cord is pretty thin, I just droop it over the side durinf the mash. I've measured after 60 minutes with it this way, and after 60 minutes completely closed. Was only 1degree off, so I just leave it in and wrap the pot with some blankets.

Back