Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they are negotiating right now about something to do with court costs in the budget. I didn't hear anything about that...

Actually, they're negotiating with the @*(&@# @$&(@#$ piece of *@$#*( Democrat Senator Smitherman to quit filibustering everything and slowing business down to a crawl. The offer was made to Smitherman a few minutes ago to have the Democrats pick 10 bills and the Republicans pick 10 bills, they put them on a calendar and work through them in between passing various budget measures that they have to get to (by law) today. Smitherman pretty much turned him down and said he knew the budgets would pass eventually but he was going to make sure everything goes at a snail's pace the rest of the day. Which pretty much means that not bills other than budget measures will pass.

The problem is that the homebrew bill isn't even being debated yet. And with the way the Democrats are playing, it won't be brought to the floor at all this year.

No, but apparently the lousy work ethic political process allows them to just cut bait and bail without finishing their work. Honestly, how many jobs have you ever had that allow that?

I thought it was the religious right that was against this bill?

It's not this bill that's the target. The Senate has passed this bill (in fact, less restrictive versions of it) the past two years.

The problem is that the immigration bill is here, and the Democrats do not want it to even come to a vote. Also, there are surely pet projects and backroom deals still being worked out.

As a result, we probably won't even get our bill brought up.

Lately I have been paying attention to politics only when Ive wanted to upset myself. Too much politics and they'll find me screaming at the lines in the road like a homeless person.

It's not this bill that's the target. The Senate has passed this bill (in fact, less restrictive versions of it) the past two years.

Actually, the bill was not voted on in the Senate last year. Two years ago it passed the Senate. Last year we started in the House and died there. We tossed around the idea of starting a different one in the Senate to get another chance at getting through the House, but there wasn't time. So far, we've passed the Senate once and the House once.

Actually, the bill was not voted on in the Senate last year. Two years ago it passed the Senate. Last year we started in the House and died there. We tossed around the idea of starting a different one in the Senate to get another chance at getting through the House, but there wasn't time. So far, we've passed the Senate once and the House once.

Ah. Lovely.

A vocal minority yes, but a lot of the problems have come from Dems. I assume you heard the gibberish from last year?

This bill had bipartisan support as well as bipartisan opposition. The demos are a problem today because of the immigration bill.

Guys I think we can kiss our bill goodbye for this year thanks to a few idiots.

Sorry guys, here's to next year. At least you got one of 2 passed.

In other news, have any of you ever heard of the law being enforced? Have you seen any fines/penalties levied against yourselves or friends?

Can't the governor send them back in session either for "x" period or until a condition is satisfied? Perhaps we should contact him and demand that they be forced to actually earn the bs payraise they granted themselves.

Can't the governor send them back in session either for "x" period or until a condition is satisfied? Perhaps we should contact him and demand that they be forced to actually earn the bs payraise they granted themselves.

They are going to have a special session this year to work on redistricting. If the other bills die due to the end of the regular session that is it till next year.

Spoke to Waggoner's secretary who put me on with the Rules clerk, Sue. She told me that there is still "a very good chance" that we will make it up for vote today. She said she can't say for sure because "everything has been falling apart down here". SO, we aren't dead yet...

CreamyGoodness said:

In other news, have any of you ever heard of the law being enforced? Have you seen any fines/penalties levied against yourselves or friends?

I don't remember if it was Alabama or Mississippi but there was a recent occurence. They allegedly also found a still and moonshine. But I believe it started as a raid looking for meth. But they confiscated a bunch of gear (some nice Blichmann stuff from the photos I saw)

Edit: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alabama-homebrewer-arrested-194144/

I think the strategy was a good one this year to start in the house. If it had gotten passed out of the house the 1st or 2nd time it was on the calendar it surly would have made it to the senate in time. I hope our bill gets through earlier next year.

Yes. I wasn't impressed tbh. Personally I think the best bbq I've had in Alabama is at a small place in Selma but I'll admit I think that the sauce may have been the key component there as well. JNN had decent to good meat at one point years ago but I think they've cheaped out considerably and they're horrendously managed so there isn't much chance of them aiming high.

Fair enough... if you thought JNN was ever good, you need to come up this way and eat at Gibson's in Decatur, or Wright's, Bunyan's or Southern BBQ in Florence. I'm not just saying that because I live here now, but I have eaten BBQ all over the country and, IMO, this area has it as good as you can get anywhere.

It's pretty much a "don't make a big deal out of it, and it's not a big deal" sort of thing. As in, don't sell it, don't flaunt it, that sort of thing. ABC enforcement has better things to do than bust into people's homes who are making beer to drink themselves.

That said...

There was a Bama home brewer a few years ago who had his picture in the LA Times as part of a story they were running on the effort to change the law. ABC called him into their office and made him sign a paper basically saying "I've been a bad boy and I'll never do it again." Actually scared him pretty good because of the implications of possibly having the run-in with the law.

I sent Smitherman a blistering email... not that he'll care in the least.

I honestly could care less about the immigration bill; we already have federal immigration laws, enforce them. I don't see a state law mattering.

It just burns me that the Senate can leave their jobs undone, especially after purposely stopping all work whatsoever, and there be no penalties for it.

It wasn't a problem maybe ten years ago, as I have noted we even had a couple large, AHA sanctioned competitions in B'Ham... there were actually police around making sure that no one drove off wasted, etc. One of the cops actually told me we were the best crowd he had ever dealt with. BUT, a few years ago there was that big bust and it has become more of a "thing". 99% of people won't get hassled, but if someone had it in for you or they were looking for something or if someone just didn't get enough sugar in their coffee on a given morning you could be in a world of hurt

I sent Smitherman a blistering email... not that he'll care in the least.

I honestly could care less about the immigration bill; we already have federal immigration laws, enforce them. I don't see a state law mattering.

It just burns me that the Senate can leave their jobs undone, especially after purposely stopping all work whatsoever, and there be no penalties for it.

I ripped his Secretary a new one on the phone. Told her he was behaving in a "disgraceful" manner, that there were many other pieces of legislation that needed to get through today. She told me I didn't "understand the system"... Let me tell you, she isn't going to win any eloquence or articulation awards... she sounded as dim-witted as he does.

@Wailing, Sorry, didn't mean to be unclear. JNN is ass. It reminds me of this crappy place in TN we used to go to when we were desperate. That said, there was a time more than a few years ago when the meat was actually pretty good (I should note that it was before they switched to purely electric cooking while blowing smoke in). Matched with Dreamland's sauce you would have had quite the formidable restaurant. There is another bbq place whose name escapes me presently but they're a much better balanced offering (near the Montgomery area) but hey're also super pricey. I've had BBQ quite a few places though and many locales have unique "qualities" to them. I don't get that here at all.

I ripped his Secretary a new one on the phone. Told her he was behaving in a "disgraceful" manner, that there were many other pieces of legislation that needed to get through today. She told me I didn't "understand the system"... Let me tell you, she isn't going to win any eloquence or articulation awards... she sounded as dim-witted as he does.

Part of me is really tempted to call myself, but I don't think I could be patient with her. My three year old exhibits the same behavior: When he doesn't get his way, he makes sure everyone else is miserable. In the case of my child, he's disciplined when he acts in such a childish manner. Does Senator Smitherman expect to gain any respect for doing the same thing?

Part of me is really tempted to call myself, but I don't think I could be patient with her. My three year old exhibits the same behavior: When he doesn't get his way, he makes sure everyone else is miserable. In the case of my child, he's disciplined when he acts in such a childish manner. Does Senator Smitherman expect to gain any respect for doing the same thing?

The problem is, he's five terms in, and has been president pro tempore before... and is a Democrat from Jefferson county. At this point, there is likely very little that can unseat him.

Why does he need respect? He's got financial security.

Did they ever say what was on the calendar for today? They never have updated the web site.

The calendar is complete. They only had the Immigration Bill on it. Now they are working on a new calendar that they can adopt.

Sorry to be nitpicky but is her title actually "secretary?" As an Executive Assistant, myself, I'd chose wiping my arse with serranos over being called a secretary.

That's the kind of attitude that keeps the freggin floors from doing anything.

I don't care what you call me. I'll do my job, you do yours. If you want to call me the help desk guy, that's fine. If you want to be proper and call me the Network Administrator, that's fine. If you want to make me sound important and call me the IT Manager, that's cool too. Hell call me CIO.

It makes no difference. It is just a title. Get over yourself.

That's the kind of attitude that keeps the freggin floors from doing anything.

I don't care what you call me. I'll do my job, you do yours. If you want to call me the help desk guy, that's fine. If you want to be proper and call me the Network Administrator, that's fine. If you want to make me sound important and call me the IT Manager, that's cool too. Hell call me CIO.

It makes no difference. It is just a title. Get over yourself.

I feel this way, too. My official title is IT Manager. In practice, I'm a network admin/user support guy. "Computer guy" works for me, as does "hey, you."

Right now someone is asking Senator Pittman to explain the proposed education budget(at least I think that is what they are explaining). It is obvious that he has not read it...

What a waste of time.

Back