airlock water fell in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I have my second batch of beer in the fermenter. I pitched the yeast 6 1/2 days ago. And i have a coopers microbrew plastic fermenter. The airlock has been filled with star san and water solution. I'v re-filled it a couple of times during the six days with a spray bottle filled with the same star san soulition. Well i went to take a hydrometer test today to make sure fermentation was happening. And stupid me forgot to take the airlock out before i tried to move the fermenter. And i went to pick it up and when i relized and let it go the star san solution that was in the airlock some of it not a whole lot got sucked into the beer. Will this be ok or will it hurt the beer? The star san solution i had in the airlock hasn't been changed out in three days or so. Does the sanitizer go bad after a while or will it still keep that water sanitized? Just worried about getting a possible infection now. Thank you in advance EPS

Don't worry about it. You can put 5% Star San in a beer and it'll be fine. Even if the sanitizer was no longer active, that amount of water won't do any harm.

Thanks for all the quick replies all. Makes me fell much better. Nothings worse then thinking you might of ruined a batch cause of a stupid mistake.

Thanks for all the quick replies all. Makes me fell much better. Nothings worse then thinking you might of ruined a batch cause of a stupid mistake.

Not a stupid mistake, if you move it, touch it, etc, something like this is bound to happen. You did well in using star san, at least you didn't get a bunch of nasty / funky plain water in it.
One thing I might add is, let things sit for awhile, why take a reading at 6 1/2 days? Buy some of your favorite beer or brew another batch and let this one sit.

I think it was John Palmer who did the test, but one of the big name guys brewed two beers exactly the same except one with extra star san added as a way to determine whether or the "fear of the foam" was valid or not. Everybody who's used it to sterilize a carboy before filling knows that a fair bit of foam stays inside.

The result: at the tasting nobody could tell the difference.

But the suction happens because after fermentation stops the beer cools, air contracts in the carboy, and sucks some of the blowoff solution into the tube. The way to not get it in your fermenter is to remove the carboy end of the tubing first.

Relax. Don't Worry. Have a homebrew.

We all agree that your brew will not be affected. That is just one of those things that you can't comprehend until it happens. You may be overly cautious in the future but that is ok. It is safer to err on the side of caution when a batch of beer is at stake!

:mug:

Happy Brewing!
Duffman53

One thing I might add is, let things sit for awhile, why take a reading at 6 1/2 days? Buy some of your favorite beer or brew another batch and let this one sit.

I am in the other boat, I like to take readings throughout the process to make sure the brew is going along well. Also, this allows me to tell what the beer is tasting like along the way. For a new brewer I would suggest this as it is a great way to learn about the process, know how the beer develops throughout the fermentation, and also allow for troubleshooting your own issues in the future. Also, I can then get excited about the brew that is bubbling along, as I know where it is going!

As for the original issue though, as many have said before it is not an issue. If you have a 3-piece air lock, remove the moving bell piece before drawing a sample. This will let a little air enter to equalize the pressure rather than sucking in the fluid. If it is a 1 piece then just pull out the airlock entirely. A little air won't hurt, and you don't have to mess around with the liquid sucking in.

I did something along this very line today. One of my fermenting bucket's airlocks wasn't bubbling so I took a drop of bleach and mixed it with about a cup and half of water and refilled the airlocks.

About an hour later, I noticed the same airlock that wasn't bubbling had a portion of the grommet forced into the bucket so in an effort to adjust it to regain a good seal. When I did this, I heard liquid fall into and splash into the fermenter. I looked at the recently refilled airlock and noticed nearly 1/3 of the liquid was gone.

Needless to say, I'm freaking out now.

Is this batch done for?

Have I ruined that batch?

This is another reason why it's a good idea to let your beer be for a few weeks. Star san no problem. Bleach water, that can be pretty bad. Was it enough to do any damage, you'll have to wait and taste it to find out. Stick to vodka or star san.

This is another reason why it's a good idea to let your beer be for a few weeks. Star san no problem. Bleach water, that can be pretty bad. Was it enough to do any damage, you'll have to wait and taste it to find out. Stick to vodka or star san.

Hate to hear that. I was stupid for not leaving well enough alone.

I can even remember that it was about 5 total drops that fell. I didn't realize the airlock could leak back like that. Live and learn.

I think I'll just taste it at bottling and see where we're at. I did notice that it has started bubbling again.

AHHH! No! That was not my intention. There is no reason, NONE, to pitch out beer before trying it. I don't care if it is growing fur! You rack underneath it and at least try it. A little bit of bleach isn't going to kill you. If it didn't effect the taste, no worries.

Thanks for all the help!

I looked at the airlock again, it's bubbling and the interior piece has repositioned and there appears to be more liquid in the airlock than there was before the suck back. I think only a few drops got in and I am going to go forward as planned (just never use bleach again).

It was one drop in about a cup of water maybe more.

AHHH! No! That was not my intention. There is no reason, NONE, to pitch out beer before trying it. I don't care if it is growing fur! You rack underneath it and at least try it. A little bit of bleach isn't going to kill you. If it didn't effect the taste, no worries.

I appreciate your help and the link!

I am going to take a little taste when bottling but I suspect that the amount was inconsequential.

Even smelling of the airlock now smells like hops, not bleach.

It was a fairly well diluted amount of bleach.

Lesson learned: attach sanitized bottom part of 3-piece airlock to bucket lid PRIOR TO sealing lid to ensure proper seal and no bent/wrinkled grommet!

Latest posts

Back