Airlock sucked dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer1

Reaction score
I'm two days into fermentation with a new style wide mouth caribou the fermonster. The beer is a clone of zombie dust with an OG of 1.070 pitched with 1.5 packets of rehydrated US-04. A large krausen developed 14 hours post pitch and strong fermentation 20 hours post pitch. The airlock filled with wort twice over the last 24 hours so I swapped out airlocks (cleaned and sanitized). Probably should of had a blowoff tube but did not... checked this afternoon to see if I needed to swap out the airlock again and it was empty. I just refilled with water and it looks like it's holding steady but no bubbling at this point. I don't know how long it was dry since it was full at 8 this morning. Should I have any concerns with the airlock being dry?

Here is a picture after refilling the airlock.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1494279677.340289.jpg

No, it's not a big deal. The beer is probably still off-gassing CO2 so there would be pressure out. Also those 3-piece airlocks actually sort of seal up when they are dry (the float drops down and covers the opening) so there is really any contamination that can happen anyway.

Don't fill that airlock all the way, not even to the "fill" line. Just high enough to cover the sprockets in the shuttle. Although it doesn't prevent suck back, when it does the amount is minimal.

Latest posts

Back